• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2950 driver

flatlander89

Feb 28, 2015
Hi,I've got a 2950 with the 12z board and a bad driver final.Anybody have recommendations on what to replace it with?Go back to 2sc2166?Or replace driver and finals?Customer wants max watts(of course).
Thanks in advance.

Yes, the 2sc2166 and 1969 are the driver and final(s) respectively. If your customer wants max output; that is probably what caused them to fail in the first place. Set them to stock specs, or they may fail again! That radio is rated @ 35w output - IIRC.

Last edited:
I agree. If you can't get the 1969 or 2312 finals then I guess your only option would be a mosfet conversion. I would hunt for the proper finals.

Thanks for the input.I replaced the driver and finals with the original mitsu transistors from rf parts.Driver bias is within specs but bias for the finals is WAY off.I've checked bias diodes,caps that were low and resistors.Still pegging my meter out at 250mA.Any idea what I missed?

You are right; was thinking of a DX model. Then it would have been VR 11 & 12. You can still check the bias current at the bias board and see if it too high on the finals. Should be around ~100 - 120mA.

Right on it Robb.Thanks a million by the way!The ammeter I was using turns out to be reading way too high.Now I've got 50 ma at the driver and around 95 at the finals.Might replace some caps an go from there.

That sounds about right; so long as it is close to 100mA; it should be fine for two finals. The mA of the driver is also correct. You will need to hunt for a different cause of failure before it happens again to the new finals.

Be sure to use some thermal paste. Make sure the heat sink on the back of the finals is flat against the case; sometimes they aren't. Doesn't hurt to put some compound between the heat sink and the case too.

Maybe he just drove the radio too hard.
Tell him it will cost him again if he keeps it up.

One more thought. Make sure that the radio doesn't put out more than 8w in AM mode with the variable power turned all of the way up and the mic gain turned all the way down. If it is more than that, then it is too high and will cause the finals to fail.
Make sure

Reactions: 222DBFL

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.