• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2950DX microphone pin 4

Black_Bart

Oct 13, 2011
this pin shows to have 8 volts DC in it, and since the 2950DX does not really need a receive wire on it in order to receive i was thinking of taking the wire that goes to pin 4 and re-purposing it to power an astatic road devil power mic (making the 9volt battery unnecessary)

the SRA-117 microphone made for RCI radios is done this way (getting 8VDC from pin 4) so i dont see why this would not work for other power microphones)

just wanting to post this idea to see what others might think before i actually perform this mod to my microphone.

I seen somewhere a online store was selling rewired mics to work like your saying. I wanna say the one I seen was a 2018 extreme.

I see no reason why it wouldn't work, I would rewire the mic and not the radio!

yup, thats what i was wanting to do = open the mic, take out the battery, and cut the batter terminal plug and run the hot/red wire to the pin 4 wire for the 8+ volts and the black to the shield (ground)

Sounds like a nice idea.
But then again; I'm not so sure.

Have you ever heard how a D-104 Astatic mic sounds when the battery gets down to 8v? They don't work very well. A fresh battery in those mics are 9.65v and when they go down to 8.8v they are ready to be trashed. Now, if there was a 10v feed from the radio to the mic - then that may work out. But 8v; just don't think so. The amount of current available under load/use is also important. Try it out/find out and let us know.

Robb you may very well be right about the voltage problem, if that mic requires 9V then 8 will be starving it and electronics do not do well under starvation conditions.

thanks for the input :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.