• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2m 70cm antenna options?

parttimehammer

Jun 26, 2011
Hey all,

I bought a Wouxun KG-UV3D hand held antenna, and while I am very pleased with it, many online and on the air have talked about getting a better antenna. Just wondering what the pros think is a cheap antenna which won't be super super long and they have had good experiences with for hand helds?

Thanks

I like the diamond 77cha antennas, they work very well for a dual band ht but you will need an adapter for any of them to work on the Wouxun if they still have the male SMA connector.

Do you know where I can buy one of these? Can you provide a link, google has actually failed me on this one.

Actually, the radio suggested connects directly to the radio. Please do a bit of research before you criticize.

I believe you meant the ANTENNA connects directly to the radio. In any event channel jumper was too busy busting his ego and being condescending to the new guy,which ironically is something he says he detests, to even take notice of what was really asked about or responded too. Perhaps he is no where near as much of a stand up guy as he thinks he is.The Diamond SRH77CA is an HT antenna.

M4...that appears to be what I am looking for. What is the cheapest place to buy it? Does somewhere like Radioshack sell it or is it more specialized than that?

There is none - the connector has to have a adapter to go from the Woxun radio to the antenna connector and the adapter is very lossy.

Has loss,yes. Is very lossy,no. You woukld be surprised to find out just how little loss 99.99999% of the adapters really have. Measure the losses for yourself and forget about what you hear as claimed losses. I have done return loss measurements on many connectors and adapters and in 100% of the cases the losses were no where near what hams and CB'ers think they are.

What I am trying to explain Mr Kaptain Kilowatt is that the only antenna that really works is a outdoor antenna that is mounted above everything else in the neighborhood.
But by the time you get the signal out of the radio, into adapters, into coax, up the coax, to the antenna and out - by the time it makes the trip - it is out of gas and the radio doesn't really do anything to appreciate what you tried to do for it.

And what I am trying to tell you is that the only antenna that works good for the application is NOT an outdoor antenna high and in the clear. There are times when using an HT in the car is an advantage to the operator be it convenience or monetary.There is nothing wrong with it as long as the operator understands the limitations of it. Granted an outdoor antenna will work better however.

It is better to use the proper antenna with the proper radio and use the walkietalkie for mobile purposes such as civic functions / parades / bike and pedestrian races / club events etc.

Agreed, however due to monetary reasons some people may not be able to do that just starting out and they should not be excluded from ham radio simply because they cannot afford the equipment that YOU think they should have.

I have to laugh every time I go to a club meeting and a new ham shows up with a Walkietalkie - like as if the purchase of a $100 radio automatically makes them a ham.

Thank you very much for telling us just what kind of an asshole you really are. Way to go man. (y) Laugh at the new guy and poke fun of him. That will really encourage him to stick around and listen to what the OF in the corner has to say. Now I'm beginning to see why there are so many reports of new hams being berated by club members and just why a lot of new guys refuse to join a club.

Before buying another antenna try this. Add a 'tail' to your present rubber-duck antenna. Basically a 1/4 wave section of insulated wire connected to the "ground" of the antenna or the radio chassis at the antenna. The typical HT uses the radio's chassis, the operators hand, and whatever is close to supply that 'other half' of the antenna. That 'tail' means providing a half way decent "ground" instead of the 'kloodged' up arrangement that's normally provided. Might cost you all of 20 cents, maybe? I have one of the Wouxuns and this does work. It certainly won't provide a 'decent' antenna system, but it's 'better' than what's normally provided.
If you want to use that HT in a vehicle, the best bet is to use a mobile antenna. That opens up several possibilities. Most of those possibilities will definitely be 'better' than a typical rubber-duck antenna.
Most antenna 'adaptors' do have some loss, but not as much as you might think. Most losses of that sort really are not very important, negligible when comparing the results of an external antenna to the typical 'duck'. The local Radio Shack has an SMA adaptor to an SO-239 using a short section of something like RG-174. That relieves some of the stress of a larger type of coax being directly connected to an HT. (The key word in that is 'short'!) Still more losses? Yep, but the end results are still better than the included 'duck' antenna with most HT's.
The biggest differences between an HT and a mobile radio is power output. If both are limited to the same power output, then the differences are less (but still there). An HT does have a useful purpose, but it's more about convenience/cost than ability, and the liabilities usually out weight the 'pluses' when any significant distances are involved.
- 'Doc

Good hit Doc - I was going to mention the rat-tail also. If the OP is looking to get into local repeaters or do short distance simplex then an HT should do the job just fine. Most repeaters have low power input so up to 5 watts is more than efficient to open the squelch. I can sit in my living room and get into repeaters as far away as 15 miles with nothing more than a couple watts and a Comet SMA24 antenna. The Diamond SRJ77CA that m42duster linked to has similar specs so I'm thinking it should work well for you. I also take my HT with me when my wife goes shopping and sit in the car making it into the repeaters I want to. A lot of successful new hams start out with an HT, so have fun with what you have. You can always pick up a mobile or base unit later on. Every ham I know personally has at least 1 HT in their collection of radios.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned