• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2m/70cm Radio Opinions Wanted.

watergate528

Oct 25, 2011
NW Ohio
Hello.......
Looking for an Icom radio (Tx/Rx) for 2m. & 70 cm.
Have been looking @ the IC-2820H.
This would be used as a base unit.
Looked @ the IC-7000, but I already have a new IC-718.
Don't really need another HF.
Any thoughts, opinions or experiences would be appreciated.**Jump_im**

I've owned one for a few days now and I'm still fumbling my way through it. It's a lot of radio...

A couple of observations that may help you make up your mind though... If you're planning to run it "full featured", you're going to have to do it with the face plate off. The data and GPS jacks can't be utilized with the faceplate in place because the jacks are located on the front of the radio rather than the back. Same for the mic jack. I can't plug my Heil mic in with the faceplate installed.

You may not think the GPS is a useable feature using the radio as a base, but it's pretty cool using it with D-Star. It will give you a compass arrow to point your antenna at the repeater, plus give you a distance to the contact station, even through a gateway.

So far I haven't been able to program "decoding" tones through the menu system. There may be a way to do it, but I quit searching for it and just ordered the RT systems software. Memories are a little different than I'm used to with only 20 memory channels, but it has like 60 memory banks. It's just something I have to get used to.

Other than that, it's easy to use, easy to program and gets great audio reports, even with the stock mic. I'm not sure that it's worth double the price of my FT-8800 (and that's for the base radio, before D-Star), but I have no regrets so far.

Don't forget, the 2820H can crossband repeat, so that's a plus.

It really comes down to what technologies you want to play with and what you want to use the radio for. If all you want is basic 2m/440 capabilities, there are a lot cheaper ways to do it than buying a 2820H. If you want to get into D-STAR, the 2820H is certainly a capable radio. If you are interested in APRS, there are other radios to look at, as well. And don't get me started on satellite...

Acidrod/Moleculo.......
Appreciate the input.
As for what I would like in a radio.....just the basics.
Not really interested in d-star, gps or aprs.
Just looking for a good radio that is easy to work with.
Also looking @ the IC-208H & ID-880H.

Well, the 880 is probably more than you need because it comes with D-Star. There are good reports on the 208 and the only negative that I've heard is that it can get hot during a long QSO on High Power, but so does any 50W dual bander I've owned. It has a fan, so it's not going to overheat.

If you're looking for crossband repeat, you're going to have to go back to the 2820H though.

If you're looking for a basic dual bander that WILL cross band repeat, I'm about to put my IC-3220H (RigPix Database - Icom - IC-3220H) up for sale for $160 delivered. It DOES cross band repeat, has a DTMF mic and tone board, but does NOT have DCS tones.

I have the IC-800 (new replaced by the IC-880) and is a great dual bander... Although it also has DStar you stated you Do not need..

I know a few people who have use the 208 and they say is an excellent radio (runs hot like said of all dual band mobiles on high power .. but not an issue with regards to actually over heating )

Leaning towards the IC-208H.
Nothing fancy suits me.
Majority of the reviews are good.
HRO has the best price on them.
I do appreciate all the input.

I've been running a 2820H as a base for about a year now and (although I haven't explored all of its features) quite satisfied with the performance.

I can't plug my Heil mic in with the faceplate installed.

I took an old RJ45 network cable and made a patch cord for my Heil mic. The cable is flexible enough that I can attach the faceplate without a problem. ;)

I've been running a 2820H as a base for about a year now and (although I haven't explored all of its features) quite satisfied with the performance.
I took an old RJ45 network cable and made a patch cord for my Heil mic. The cable is flexible enough that I can attach the faceplate without a problem. ;)

Good call...

antenna selection

Also looking @ the OSJ 146/440 J-pole.
Read a lot of good reports on it.

2m-70cm.gif

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated