• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2M antenna

parttimehammer

Jun 26, 2011
Hey all,

I recently moved from SoCal to Oklahoma City, and while there is a repeater I can reach here in OKC, it is so very faint that I can not seem to make the connection. Wondering what kind of an antenna I could find in the area that would be cheap and allow me to hit some more repeaters? I have a Wouxun KG UV3D 2M/440

Almost any antenna other than a 'rubberduck' will be an improvement. The OKC repeaters are vertically polarized so hanging a simple dipole vertically near a window (if not outside), should get you into at least one repeater. An antenna outside at roof height should get you several repeaters.
- 'Doc

Try 444.10, I can hit it from El Reno with a duck well the big MFJ duck about half the time,
and 146.925, 146.82, if you want to try a contact sometime let me know, we can even make plans for it email auctionmaster46@yahoo.com

good luck
Slothq
KF5ORR

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I like the looks of that home built ground plane, and while I feel I could build one, have no idea how to do so.

I would love to try and get a contact with you, I have been on 144.100 successfully, Ill have to try the other two. Are there any PL or freq shifts?

I made a j-pole for my base rig a few years back and it worked surprizingly well..

just some rigid copper pipe 1/2 inch a few elbows and T's,a so239 chassie connector a propane torch and some solder...all it took was a couple of hours of time from the first cut of pipe to on a mast and I was on the air

Almost no one has (or has had) just one antenna. There are just too many things that can affect how well -any- antenna works, so I think everyone tries a few to see what's 'best' for them in any particular situation. So, try a few, see what happens to work best for you and just remember what you did with the other ones cuz you'll try them again, you know?
Your options run from making your own to visiting your banker to try another option. Suit your self in that regard, sort of. Antennas aren't difficult to make, and really simple ones do better than you might think. Build or buy a simple groundplane type thingy, see how it does. That's probably the 'base' line antenna for VHF antennas, the one most people make comparisons to. A 'coat-hanger' groundplane antenna for 2 meters ought'a get you a gob of OKC repeaters. The one thing that will make more difference than almost all the rest is antenna height on VHF/UHF. The 'catch' with that is -getting- that height, where and how. Do what you can, that's what all of us do.
A dipole hung vertically is another 'easy' antenna to make. How you go about that is dependent only on what you have available and your imagination (within reason). Then you get into the commercial antenna market! Hooo, that's an area where some experience is certainly helpful (along with some disbelief in 'claims'!). Lot's of choices!
Good luck.
- 'Doc

(That coat-hanger antenna means using a metal coat-hanger! The plastic ones are the only worse antenna than a rubberducky that I can think of. :))

I just took a look at that site. As with almost -all- repeater listings I've seen, it isn't exactly up to date and/or correct in all the supplied information. It is 'close enough' that you should be able to get the required offsets/tones in most cases. You might also take a look at the 'ORSA' (Oklahoma Repeater Society) web site. They do the coordinating for Oklahoma and while not completely up to date, it's the "official" source of information.
If nothing else, try the 146.520 calling freq and ask for local information. I can't imagine with the number of hams in OKC that it isn't monitored (some, anyway).
Have fun.
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.