• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2x2879's

bigred222

Key Up City Radio
Aug 28, 2006
Stamford, CT
www.cbjunk.com
First of all id like to state how i find it funny that on ebay. the guy who lists the fatboy 2pill 2879's lists it as a 450 watt amp and on ALA its listed as a 350 watt amp. Now i like clarity in my life so i would like to clear this all up with some basic simple questions.
1. At 13.8 volts CONSTANT and 4 watts DEADKEY on a stock Radio Untuned. What would I expect to see out of that.
2. How long with a 4 watt dead key at 20 VOLTS constant. Would a 2x2879 amp last. and How much power could i see out of that?
Thank you WWRF
BIGRED UP NORTH DROPPIN THE SLEDGEHAMMER GOT ALL THE WAY THE HECK DOWN.

Thats what I love about E-Bay, you can see foolish wattage claims from amplifiers to radio's. Remember, the dead key from the radio will only key the amp at a given wattage number. Your peak reading will depend on how well the radio swings or has been tuned. I think the best bang for the buck amplifier to run is a 2 pill with 2879's. No matter what the name on the front is you should be able to get 275-325 peak watts from one. Alot of these big numbers are gotten by running at higher voltage and more peak input.

Unless your going to a competition I would skip the volting idea. When you run at 18+ volts you MUST have all your ducks in a row. Any slight increase in SWR and you start blowing 2879's real fast. Guys that volt their amps all year go through dozens of 2879's at 18 dollars each. If your on a base keep it at a STEADY 14.5-15 volts and you will get good numbers. Also, dude, get your radio's peaked and tuned alittle already.

You can get 600W out of a two pill, I have.

But then a low pass filter would cause some :(:mad::angry:

15V with 80W drive into a class B.

CB mentality, if you want the cup full, overfill it.:laugh:

No better way to make sure. :love:

1115941088044333890S500x500Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
"....he runs a 2 pill 2879 driven by a magnum s980 on a 20 volt supply. he sees 850pep on a bird 43p easily."

"....he ran his 5 pill on 20v too for upwards for 6 months and routinely saw 2500pep out of it."

you forgot to mention that neither he or you can explain why he sees what he sees. well over 50% and as much as 75% of what he "sees" isn't happening at 27mhz.

I'm glad to see that my sometimes forrays into never never land are still as amusing as the last visit. some day i will see for myself one of those "2 pill" 800 -1000W spatter boxes, but i doubt it! LOL you guys have fun.

1) a 2x2879 with no variable driven by 4 watt dk swinging to maybe 15 or 20pep will give you about 275watts pep.
Put more in, get mo get out.

2) Since you state that you are in CT. have you ever heard a NewYorker on ch.3 named billygoat? or real white trash? anywho he runs a 2 pill 2879 driven by a magnum s980 on a 20 volt supply. he sees 850pep on a bird 43p easily. he was local talking like this for a while (few months) finally took out one pill...
he has RF angels surrounding him, he ran his 5 pill on 20v too for upwards for 6 months and routinely saw 2500pep out of it. Just got it back to him last week he lost one pill in the final section of that as well. Supposedly he say 950 avg out of it...
cant say ive heard of the guy. i dont usually hang out on that channel. Im a channel 15 and channel 6 guy.

i'm not insinuating anything, i'm telling you straight up, those "numbers" are meaningless in regard to any level of rf power developed at the fundamental operating frequency, whatever it is.

2X2SC2879's don't produce 850WPEP and 4X2SC2879's don't produce 2500WPEP
AT THE FUNDAMENTAL OPERATING FREQUENCY!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.