• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2x2sc2879 amp construction project

rlnthndr said:
Most builders of amps for the 11M band do not use filtering as it would cost a little more and most have radios that put out tremendous amounts of harmonics so it would not be that effective any how.

Not true, even if the transmitter produce trash the filter in the or after the amp will catch it.

How you been thunder??

Whats going on Boo, it has been awhile since I have been around the forums glad to see you back arouund. Can understand needing the break especially being busy and all.

Will be seeing you around.........

Later

I have to Say tha AMPOWER posted some nice pics. would have been nice if you included discription of the parts as he installed them I can't Read nothing on the Caps. probably couldn't if I had one in my Hand. (hate to get old). I would love to built the 2 transister rig what Amp is the output on it..?

What some of you amp builders could do is what heathkit did and sell the components and a manual and let the buyer build it. And that way it would be cheaper for the builder and teach electronics, And make you some money. After all Heathkit did this for years. Just a suggestion. :idea:

yeah , a kit would be nice, i would just like to learn how to build it and be able to understand how it works. and yet have something useful in the shack, that i can say i did it myself.

rlnthndr said:
Most builders of amps for the 11M band do not use filtering as it would cost a little more and most have radios that put out tremendous amounts of harmonics so it would not be that effective any how.

Guess you haven't seen the older Messenger stuff.

Modern day (read this as today) builders don't use filtering because customers will stand for it. It also makes the meter move farther to the right than a filtered amp.

Or, to put it another way.... You ever run a pre 1994 Messenger 350 against a Texas Star (or ANY other advertised 350 watt, or most 400 watt CB type amps) 350 or 400? Everything else being equal, the Messenger will win... And the neighbors won't even notice its on :)

Many a base station in San Diego went from Palomar 3 and 4 tubers to Messenger 400, 500 or M4Vs... They increased their PEP output, and decreased their TVI and RFI complaints.

Guess that filtering crap DOES do somethin, huh? Not only does it serve to clean the garbage up that's coming out of the amplifier, but it also allows the builder (if they actually KNOW what they are doing...... Most people building or slapping their names on an amp couldn't design an L network for ANYTHING) to properly match the output of the transistor(s) to the 50 ohm antenna.... And properly tune OUT any reactance on the output of the amp!

Just my $00.02 9/10 worth. Learn to filter the output of the amps. It will clean up the output, even fed garbage to the input of the amp... If properly designed, the output of the amp will be cleaner than the input. Man, use tuned input and outputs, and you can make amps that actually work better! Oh wait, that's a major difference tube amps have over solid state.

10-7

All of the amp builders out there I want to put out the challenge.
Put together a class a/b amp for the kit builder, with instructions and make it cost effective for the builder and see how much you sell them. Heathkit did, along with Knight Kit. (I know there no longer with us but that is another topic.)
I would much rather build one than buy one. Just my opinion.
;)

datsun66 said:
All of the amp builders out there I want to put out the challenge.
Put together a class a/b amp for the kit builder, with instructions and make it cost effective for the builder and see how much you sell them. Heathkit did, along with Knight Kit. (I know there no longer with us but that is another topic.)
I would much rather build one than buy one. Just my opinion.
;)

ya what he said

But if you are interested in building your own amp, check out PSF technologies. They have parts kits and manuals if you are interested. Anything from a 1 pill to a 16 pill for those that are interested.

I would think it would depend on the kit, cost, and the building abilities of the builder. Those apply to any kit!
Then there are the thingys that are not directly connected with the kit. As in being able to say "I built it". As in (hopefully) learning something about what the thing really is all about.
And lastly, it would be illegal. You may think that's a "wuss" thing, at least until it bites you <--. Then you may decide that it isn't. Especially if you're the one who put all that effort into designing and selling the kit - lol!
- 'Doc

I am just mentioning it to who may be interested in it. For the small stuff, itgives several pictures on a CD. Does a step by step process. What I don't like about these kits is that it does not explain at all any theory or principles. So the person who built it still doesn't know anything and is just copying a drawn out design. So later if they blow it, they may have to send it so someone to repair.

I built my first 2 pill about 2 years ago. I bought alot of books having anything to do with amplifiers. (Theory, principles, combining techniques whatever). I have alot of Motorola notes Haldge granburg and Norm dyes book. CBC internationals TRI AMP plans. This book goes into some details about an amp. A good start to read. Have several ARRL amps. The classic Amps book, baluns and ununs, Transmission line transformers. just recently i have been buying alot of power supply manuals to figure out a good biasing circuit. Until a month ago never even thought about it really. The one on this site by Moleculo is OK, but what if i wanted to do this for an 8 pill. Or if I am playing with the 151G(Hint). Also I have the ARRL manual. Lots of good info on basic electronics of all sorts and explains very basics for building transister or tube amp. When I started a few years ago, Bill Eitner gave me some direction on tuning an amp and told me to throw away my PDC 700(it's still in the corner collecting dust). Also explained a little power supply theory for me. But he wasn't holding my hand, I had to do some research and trial and error on my own. Another good book is"RF Circuit Design" by Chris Bowick. Has a huge chapter on different filter designs/styles. If you are going to build an amp with a filter, this is a really good place to start, Has normalized charts so that all you have to do is figure frequncy and figure were you want cutoff and how sharp of a cutoff. Then plug in numbers for ecah variabl/element. Do i know everything, certainly not, but i like to think I know a little bit. I have more to learn. I just say this to the ones that want it handed to them on a platter. Most on here that know anything have probably spent as much time or more than I have to get as far as we have. learning is a continous thing. Oh one last comment, for those interested in tubes, it is called" the radio handbook" by Bill Orr. If you can get a copy pick it up. it is out of print, but can still find it on Amazon or similar places used. Explains power supplies for tubes and some transistor theory as well.

Crusher

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.