• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2X4 help??

unit100

Apr 26, 2008
I am going to build a 2X4, and have never done it. Have built lots of 2 pills. Here's what I need to know. No technical stuff please, as I am just pretty good with a soldering iron and replacing/installing parts.

I can buy all the components, and place them where they go. but once the pills are installed, how do I take the output of the driver portion to the finals, or 4 pills?

How does the output transformer look when finished? Does the output trace join the input by a choke? A simple one? Do I just take the final output winding and connect it to the inputs of the 4 pills. How or where do I terminate the output of the driver pills? Can anyone post a photo? Just trying to find out how to get the driver juice to the 4 pills. probably best if I could see a good clear photo.

Thanks in advance.
Buddy

here's a pic of one of my old rust buckets, # of wraps on transformers is 4 turns on the input and 3 turns on the output.

mackforce2x40021ly6.jpg

Wow! What a picture. Thanks Mackmobile. I can see most of it and it does'nt look too awful difficult, but I may have bit off more than I can chew without being able to hold it in my hands and turn it around and over and upside down while looking at it like a monkey.

I think the driver stage may be too much for me in the end withoutout personal instruction. Have started thinking maybe an 8 pill would be easier. On an 8 pill, would you just build 2 seperate 4 pills side by side on the same board and then take the 2 output windings straight to the relay together?

Thanks again for all your efforts, and I one day still want a 2X4.

Buddy

Wow! What a picture. Thanks Mackmobile. I can see most of it and it does'nt look too awful difficult, but I may have bit off more than I can chew without being able to hold it in my hands and turn it around and over and upside down while looking at it like a monkey.

I think the driver stage may be too much for me in the end withoutout personal instruction. Have started thinking maybe an 8 pill would be easier. On an 8 pill, would you just build 2 seperate 4 pills side by side on the same board and then take the 2 output windings straight to the relay together?

Thanks again for all your efforts, and I one day still want a 2X4.

Buddy

well most 8 pills are 2 pill stages combined then combined again before the tuning stage then connected to the relay.

The drive stage for the 2x4 is a piece of cake.

Last edited:
OK then, you've convinced me. I will keep studying the photo and try to figure this thing out. The combining of a bunch of 2 pill stages pill does'nt sound like too much fun. I know that was a lot of trouble,(the picture) but I really appreciate it.

I may just send you my amp and let you put the driver in it,(For your fee, of course), then when I get it back I'll be able to build the next one. Just kidding! I will probably be able to do it in time

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.