• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2X4 help??

unit100

Apr 26, 2008
I am going to build a 2X4, and have never done it. Have built lots of 2 pills. Here's what I need to know. No technical stuff please, as I am just pretty good with a soldering iron and replacing/installing parts.

I can buy all the components, and place them where they go. but once the pills are installed, how do I take the output of the driver portion to the finals, or 4 pills?

How does the output transformer look when finished? Does the output trace join the input by a choke? A simple one? Do I just take the final output winding and connect it to the inputs of the 4 pills. How or where do I terminate the output of the driver pills? Can anyone post a photo? Just trying to find out how to get the driver juice to the 4 pills. probably best if I could see a good clear photo.

Thanks in advance.
Buddy

here's a pic of one of my old rust buckets, # of wraps on transformers is 4 turns on the input and 3 turns on the output.

mackforce2x40021ly6.jpg

Wow! What a picture. Thanks Mackmobile. I can see most of it and it does'nt look too awful difficult, but I may have bit off more than I can chew without being able to hold it in my hands and turn it around and over and upside down while looking at it like a monkey.

I think the driver stage may be too much for me in the end withoutout personal instruction. Have started thinking maybe an 8 pill would be easier. On an 8 pill, would you just build 2 seperate 4 pills side by side on the same board and then take the 2 output windings straight to the relay together?

Thanks again for all your efforts, and I one day still want a 2X4.

Buddy

Wow! What a picture. Thanks Mackmobile. I can see most of it and it does'nt look too awful difficult, but I may have bit off more than I can chew without being able to hold it in my hands and turn it around and over and upside down while looking at it like a monkey.

I think the driver stage may be too much for me in the end withoutout personal instruction. Have started thinking maybe an 8 pill would be easier. On an 8 pill, would you just build 2 seperate 4 pills side by side on the same board and then take the 2 output windings straight to the relay together?

Thanks again for all your efforts, and I one day still want a 2X4.

Buddy

well most 8 pills are 2 pill stages combined then combined again before the tuning stage then connected to the relay.

The drive stage for the 2x4 is a piece of cake.

Last edited:
OK then, you've convinced me. I will keep studying the photo and try to figure this thing out. The combining of a bunch of 2 pill stages pill does'nt sound like too much fun. I know that was a lot of trouble,(the picture) but I really appreciate it.

I may just send you my amp and let you put the driver in it,(For your fee, of course), then when I get it back I'll be able to build the next one. Just kidding! I will probably be able to do it in time

dxChat
Help Users
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Everything is El Dead-o. Joy!
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Please advise me to what is a good replacement mic for my SR-497HPC... Answer: 497 is "wired like Cobra", so many choices available. That radio does not need a power mic, so purchase a stock "coffin style" mic with a decent cord, like the ones that Astatic uses. The Superstar DM-507 is my go-to. https://www.ebay.com/itm/3050474478...adANq91JSiEEnz8EGqPJRBloTgEyaVsBoCtoMQAvD_BwE $12.99 + .99 cent shipping.