• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

30' pushup and Starduster-400

4ZERO99

Jun 25, 2013
I would like some opinions please:

I presently have a A-99 at rooftop level and am considering purchasing a 30' pushup mast and a Sirio StarDuster M-400 antenna, I used to have a starduster back in the 70's and it was a great antenna then, how are they now, still as good?

I know I shouldn't need to ask, but yeah I do.

Thanks
73's

I presently have a A-99 at rooftop level and am considering purchasing a 30' pushup mast and a Sirio StarDuster M-400 antenna, I used to have a starduster back in the 70's and it was a great antenna then, how are they now, still as good?

Thanks
73's

Check out this thread 99, 0630 just got his Sirio M400 mounted and installed. He has a nice thread with some information about his install.

I have a very high regard for my Starduster on my 46' foot pushup and it is whipping my Gain Master that is 6' feet to the tip taller. And it is a whole bunch quieter in operations too.

I have high regards for Sirio too. I think they do a good job in antennas and do a jamup job with their kit design and manuals to put them together, and at a fair price.

Here is my SD'r vs. I-10K:

Starduster and I-10K @40' & 35'.JPG

Good luck, be careful, and keep us posted right here on WWDX.

Eddie - Marconi

Thanks for the info Marconi, all the threads I have read here on ground planes points to me getting the Starduster, so far nothing but good reports. I'm not disappointed with the A-99, but want better ears, you know, lol

We'll see

Thanks again

Thanks for the info Marconi, all the threads I have read here on ground planes points to me getting the Starduster, so far nothing but good reports. I'm not disappointed with the A-99, but want better ears, you know, lol

We'll see

Thanks again

IMO, you made a good choice.

If you have any common mode currents issues, like added CMC's noise and TVI, just let me know.

Among other problems, CMC's are reported to create issues with increased noise, and you have everything at hand to fix that...if my fix idea is repeatable.

We'll see

Thanks again

the m-400 should have quieter rx than the a99. on a pushup pole you,ll need
a extra mast to mount the m400 on then clamp that on the pushup pole
due to the coax runs thru the mast. if this isnt done tvi is likely. now
there was some bad ones named workman quailty wasnt that great .
so make sure ya get a sirio.dnjradio.com and copper.com has the best price
far as i know.

Greetings Gentlemen,
I have a modified maco v5000 a homemade 1/4 wave and a antron 99 and finally a starduster.The starduster is a fine entry level antenna but I would change a clamps and connectors to stainless ,the ones that came with it aren't top notch...But A fine antenna and underrated!

Reactions: 1 person
the m-400 should have quieter rx than the a99. on a pushup pole you,ll need
a extra mast to mount the m400 on then clamp that on the pushup pole
due to the coax runs thru the mast. if this isnt done tvi is likely. now
there was some bad ones named workman quailty wasnt that great .
so make sure ya get a sirio.dnjradio.com and copper.com has the best price
far as i know.

Sirio and the original manufacturers say a 10 foot mast is needed that the coax runs through

Thanks
73's
HAMMER0630: Here's mine just put up and it works like no antenna I have had before! I have one point NOTHING swr's I hear everything out their even across state lines. I never try talking to the Mexicans on the radio except for today and found out they are coming from Spain on my first key down with very broken Spanish on my end. Star Duster = hear them-talk to them. All my base station friends are from 20 to 50 miles from me and all in a different counties and with amp on lowest setting 1 out of 6 everyone is getting me in the red or 9 s units. I used my amp because a jerk who always plays music in their town 40 miles from me but only 5 to 15 miles from them was at it but I got over him to everyone but not all back to me but others relayed they are hearing me. I did exactly what Marconi said and it works great.

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 26
Check out this thread 99, 0630 just got his Sirio M400 mounted and installed. He has a nice thread with some information about his install.

I have a very high regard for my Starduster on my 46' foot pushup and it is whipping my Gain Master that is 6' feet to the tip taller. And it is a whole bunch quieter in operations too.

I have high regards for Sirio too. I think they do a good job in antennas and do a jamup job with their kit design and manuals to put them together, and at a fair price.

Here is my SD'r vs. I-10K:

View attachment 11060

Good luck, be careful, and keep us posted right here on WWDX.

Eddie - Marconi

i know this is old . but when you use a puh pole where/how did you attach the 10 foot pole
that the hub attaches too?

i know this is old . but when you use a puh pole where/how did you attach the 10 foot pole
that the hub attaches too?

I attach my pipe in the hub similar to what is shown here. However, this is for my Marconi 5x antenna and a little different application, but the idea is the same. The hardware used here to connect the two masts together are brackets used for fencing.

Marconi with balun.jpg

Last edited:
seems like be pretty sturdy. i ask cause the m400 runs the coax thru a mast pipe
and antenna/hub mounts top of it. didnt think you would run it all way thru
push up pole. if that even can be done

I noticed no one pointed out or asked why go from a 1/2 wave to a 1/4 wave antenna? I have an old, classic Starduster that sits in my shed, cant even give it away, lol.

A '1/2' tp a 1/4' wave, interesting. But both lengths do perform.
This is only about that '10 foot pipe' thingy. The difficult part of doing that is how you enter and exit that pipe. With the base of the antenna sitting on top of the pipe the entering part shouldn't be difficult at all. The exiting part could get 'hairy' depending on how that 10 foot pipe is attached to any other pipe/mast.
As for using all of a push-up pole, running the feed line through that pipe/mast, it can certainly be done and shouldn't cause any RF problems. The physical problems of getting the feed line in/out of that mast is where the problems arise. It shouldn't be a huge biggy if you do some planning/adapting ahead of time. I can see how the entering part could be managed, and if you could figure a different base mounting of the mast, it could be 'done' too. FWIW...
- 'Doc

I noticed no one pointed out or asked why go from a 1/2 wave to a 1/4 wave antenna? I have an old, classic Starduster that sits in my shed, cant even give it away, lol.

its been pointed out to me here on this fourm , that in a hilly area [not a valley] a 1/4
wave may/might be better.currently i gotta 5/8 wave sirio but my signal seems to
have a , C shape pattern. looking at the C i got alot of hills o get over on my north east
side. however south/ southeast theres only a few hills and i do really good. a beam
isnt really addordable 4 me. and i can use a amp without any issues as i in middle of nowhere
but was tring to get away from that [if possible. also looking at the sirio dipole which
can be mounted on flatside . this would good for dx.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.