• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

300 watt + NMO antenna? Does it exist?

BigKahuna

Jan 31, 2015
I got NMO mount on a vehicle and wondering if any NMO antennas can handle more than 150-300 watts?

All ones I see are midland/larsen/other and all seem to be rated 150-300w which means really only 75-150 watts. So not really want to even run a 2 x 2879 into them.

I like the NMO mount but not sure the antenna I want exists. Seen couple that say 500w but in other place same antenna says 300 so someone advertising is full of crap.

Other option - use NMO to 3/8 adapter or NMO to SO-239 adapter then stick Wilson 1000 on?

Last edited:

I got NMO mount on a vehicle and wondering if any NMO antennas can handle more than 150-300 watts?

All ones I see are midland/larsen/other and all seem to be rated 150-300w which means really only 75-150 watts. So not really want to even run a 2 x 2879 into them.

I like the NMO mount but not sure the antenna I want exists. Seen couple that say 500w but in other place same antenna says 300 so someone advertising is full of crap.

Other option - use NMO to 3/8 adapter or NMO to SO-239 adapter then stick Wilson 1000 on?

Even if the antenna is rated at 500W or more, the RG58 coax isn't.

There is absolutely no advantage at all going above 300W and even that is excessive. The difference between 300W and 600W is 3dB which is half a S point. The difference between 100W and 600W is just over one S point. From an installation point of view, the difference between 300W and 600W is massive. Any shortcutting on grounding, bonding, the 12V supply will all massively affect the 600W install. You're not going to get away with magmounts or lip mounts with a 600W install or even a 300W install without issues. You have to use fixed body mounts attached by drilling holes in the vehicle.

Even if the antenna is rated at 500W or more, the RG58 coax isn't.

There is absolutely no advantage at all going above 300W and even that is excessive. The difference between 300W and 600W is 3dB which is half a S point. The difference between 100W and 600W is just over one S point. From an installation point of view, the difference between 300W and 600W is massive. Any shortcutting on grounding, bonding, the 12V supply will all massively affect the 600W install. You're not going to get away with magmounts or lip mounts with a 600W install or even a 300W install without issues. You have to use fixed body mounts attached by drilling holes in the vehicle.

But he wants it for 11m and we all know things work differently on that band. :whistle:

#1 existing nmo is hard mount already that's why I want to use it

#2 Ive installed lots of amps so I know what I'm doing

#3 not looking to run 600 watt just want to run a 2 x 2879 amp

#4 I run ssb on cb band and am licensed ham so no need for those type comments

Anyway neither comment helpful. Going to run a nmo to so-239 adapter from mfj and put a Wilson 1000 on top since no nmo antenna made to handle 2 x 2879. I will post result

Reactions: Slowmover
#1 existing nmo is hard mount already that's why I want to use it

#2 Ive installed lots of amps so I know what I'm doing

Apparently not.
#3 not looking to run 600 watt just want to run a 2 x 2879 amp
Why? Its pointless.
#4 I run ssb on cb band and am licensed ham so no need for those type comments
One who apparently doesn't know the difference between 100W and 300W isn't worth bothering with.
Going to run a nmo to so-239 adapter from mfj
I rest my case.

The SIRIO 4000 and the 5000 will handle the watts.

Do those antennas come with NMO mount versions? I can't find any one selling such a mount for those antennas. While you can definitely get an adapter, I still don't think I would personally run a Sirio 4000 or 5000 series antenna with such a mount...

The DB

I just took my 5000 off of the mount and I was surprised to find the connector to the loading coil is a so239/pl259 hook up.
To the original poster I would change the mount to some thing more common.

Reactions: NZ8N
You mean a standard PL-239 can't handle that load?
Thought the real advantage with an NMO mount was for the freq range being used through it.
Hmmmmm . . . .

I though so too. Designed by Motorola for lower power uhf/vhf radios. I wouldn't use one for HF at that power level.

Correctamundo.jpg

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
the nmo mount was already on the car, the hole in the trunk is bigger than standard cb mount like 3/4 hole so can't just swap it out. That's why I was going to try to use existing nmo mount. Just wanted to run my 2 pill amp not looking to blast out power. nmo antennas usually only rated for 150 watts so no way they are good for 2 pill. nmo mount usually are rated for around 200 max but guessing should be fine with 200-225 from amp on ssb being pushed real easy. nmo to s0-239 adapter gets here tomorrow and then i can test. As long as SWR isnt issue that adapter should work fine.

I just remembered that Breedlove makes some heavy duty looking NMO mounts. I use one of his stake hole mounts for a ham stick and it's very high quality. This might be what your looking for if you want to replace your current NMO with something more power capable. You can email him and ask what they are rated at.

https://breedlovemounts.com/NMO_Mounts.php

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.