• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

3600 board mod

2FB327

Oct 31, 2012
I pulled off the cover and this is what I found, does anybody have an idea what this person was trying to do?
He took the time to put hear shrink on it and never heated it.
3600 1.jpg

3600 2.jpg

Reactions: LeapFrog

That's the "Talk-Back" volume reduction mod.
Straight from "Galaxy Radio", this one works good if the radio has been "peaked n tuned" or NPC modified, if the radio squeals adding the right amount of resistance here, or disabling talk-back will fix the "squeals with the mic gain up" problem.

ssb_fm_talkback.jpg

You could measure the two resistors in series and replace them w/ a single one of a similar value, just to clean up the look. Honestly the tape or heat-shrink is a good idea, but really most times this will sit flush enough with the PCB so you can put the lids on and not have any short circuit issues.

You could simply remove it all together, but if you suddenly have a feed-back issue with the "Talk-Back" circuit you will know why!

Last edited:
Yeah the blue link in my post will take you to Galaxy Radio's [maybe] "Official" website.
They explain what value resistance to test out with in the beginning, and how lowering or raising the value affects volume.

I've never tried a D104 on a Galaxy, that'd be a pretty cool combo if it had worked at the time.
The photo in my previous post came from the Galaxy website, it is not my work.
It's all good I appreciate it when you guys remind me of something or help explain a thing that I didn't know about before! Sharing Links is half-the battle LOL.
(y)
Not my words:
Talkback Mod

Talkback can become distorted if these radios have been "peaked," and there is no cure because the talkback just amplifies what goes to the RF section. Try adding a 470k ohm resistor from junction of C154/R207 to the junction of C187/R235 on the solder side of the board. This will also give you clean talkback on SSB and FM. Try different values of resistance to get the amount of volume you want. The less the resistance the louder the talkback will be.
:cool:

Disabling Talkback

DX 33HML Disconnect wire located in TR30

DX 44V Disconnect wire located in J15

• DX 66V
    Disconnect wire located in J15

DX 73V
    Disconnect wire located in J15

DX 77HML
    Disconnect wire from resistor R244

DX 88HL
    Disconnect wire located in R189

DX 99V
    (original type echo board) Disconnect wire located in TR35

DX 99V
    (smt type echo board) Disconnect wire located in J15 next to R244

DX 11B
    Disconnect wire from diode located in R244

DX 22B
    Disconnect wire from diode located in R327

Last edited:
I have a local guy that does this mod to every radio that goes out the door from his shop. So I'm very familiar with this mod.

~Cheers~
I have done it to all of my ept3600 rci radios.
On one I have talkback disable on a switch.
You can also get creative and make talkback work independent of the echo on a double throw switch. (sometimes it's nice to have TalkBack and no Echo)

Reactions: 2FB327

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated