• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

4 element vs 5 element M104C or M105C help...

If you have the room for a 5 element, and the $$$, go for it. Otherwise, the 4 element will work just fine. In a side by side real world shoot, out, the difference between the two would be negligible.

A Quick story:
A guy north of me (15 miles) was using a Maco 104 on a 50' tower - when the Pacific stations were coming in strong, I was having to relay to him what they were saying. He just could not hear a lot of them like I could.

Now, the next summer, he install a 5 element on the same tower and through the next winter he was able to hear all the stations that I was hearing - never had to relay for him again!

So the only thing that changed was; he went to a bigger antenna.
I can say that Larry gets into my radio very well with the 5 elements.

Jeff

Reactions: Keto
I can say that Larry gets into my radio very well with the 5 elements.

Jeff
Well Jeff in my area here, there are 9 guys on ch 38 in a 25 mi. radius and they all have their big amp's (400 - 1kw) and they all have beams except for one.
But with my 5 element & the 100 watt cheap export radio, I am always right in the mix of things. So with 28 contacts on 11 meters into Russia, I think that's not to shabby for what I am using.

I really enjoy the radio, but having to run big amps to talk to some one across the United States has never appealed to me, that just takes all the fun out the hobby for me......

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated