• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

4 OHM EX-SPEAKER ON MY CB

Jun 22, 2008
n.w. oregon
Will running a 4 ohm external speaker (kenwood kes-5) on my uniden grant cb hurt the radio.? isnt most external cb speakers 8 ohm.? i usually use the texas ranger external speakers and they sound good. but truthfully the kenwood kes-5 millitary grade external speaker sounds better. just not wanting to harm my radio.

I use old computer hi-fi speakers with my CB and my 2m radio. Sounds much better than stock - and I never had any problems with either radio or speaker.

Running a 4 ohm speaker on an amp that is rated at 8 ohms will be less resistance and more audio output. Relatively safe with solid-state electronis; and only slightly risky with transformer-coupled tube electronics.

thanks rob. ive got 2 of these kenwood mobile kes-5 speakers. ive been useing 1 on my uniden bc 898t scanner with no problems. i usually use the other kes-5 on my icom 706 mk2g,which by the manual says it will take a 4 to 16 ohm speaker. it just sounded really good on my uniden grant but i didnt want to screw it up.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.