• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

4 wire Turner to 5 pin Cobra 148....

arcangelny

Mar 13, 2014
I have a NOS Turner Road King 70 that has been in my basement in the box for MANY years that I forgot about. I have a couple of them in use . Before I get a whole bunch of opinions on this mic...

1. I love em.
2. They are GREAT in off road trucks with BIG NOISY tires.
3. They are super heavy duty.... built like a tank.
4. I am going to use it period.

That being said... Hold opinions of this mic please. (Don't get why many dislike them... They have a place...)
It has 4 wires.. RED BLACK SHIELD WHITE. I want to wire into a 5 pin Cobra 148... I used to know how when I was young but got old and stupid. If I remember correctly, you have to jump 1 wire to 2 pins....

Can Anyone help me out here?

Thank You,

Bigbear in NYC
KAAN 9182 ( REAL oldtime FCC CB license/call)

Thank but as I said this is NOS. I have all the papefwork (It's like a time capsule). It's even got a sticker from a well known outdoor store, which closed decades ago, on the box. So I did hav the book. But it only lists wiring for 4 pin mikes as does CB Tricks. I don't remember for sure but I believe Turner got out of CB/ham before Cobra went to 5 pin. 5 Pin is a pain in the arse anyway....

I even have the warranty card.... Wonder what would happen if I mailed that in? LOL!

Thank but as I said this is NOS. I have all the papefwork (It's like a time capsule). It's even got a sticker from a well known outdoor store, which closed decades ago, on the box. So I did hav the book. But it only lists wiring for 4 pin mikes as does CB Tricks. I don't remember for sure but I believe Turner got out of CB/ham before Cobra went to 5 pin. 5 Pin is a pain in the arse anyway....

I even have the warranty card.... Wonder what would happen if I mailed that in? LOL!
Turner
1- White
2- Shield
3- Black
4- Red
5- Blue
Yellow NC

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/cobra/148gtl/index.htm
Thanks but I have an original RK70 , as I said it has 4 wires, Red, Black, white and shield.... No blue or yellow.... I am almost positive I used to wire up 4 wires and jump one pin to another. I hope I find it as I have a BOATLOAD of +2, +3 and Road King handhelds... As well as +2,, + 3 and Super sidekick desk mic's. I THINK the desk mic's might have the extra wires, but have not wired in a while.

On the 5 pin mic plug, you jump pins 2 and 4 together. This ties your mic gain ground with your PCB ground. Then you can wire up the mic to the 5 pin plug as normal. Shield goes to either pin 2 or pin 4 (once you tie pins 2 & 4 together with a jumper wire), white goes to pin 1, black goes to pin 5, red goes to pin 3. In some cases, you may have to swap the red and black wires, as I have seen some Turner mics use red for TX and black for RX.

Hope this helps. :)

~Cheers~

Reactions: Robb
On the 5 pin mic plug, you jump pins 2 and 4 together. This ties your mic gain ground with your PCB ground. Then you can wire up the mic to the 5 pin plug as normal. Shield goes to either pin 2 or pin 4 (once you tie pins 2 & 4 together with a jumper wire), white goes to pin 1, black goes to pin 5, red goes to pin 3. In some cases, you may have to swap the red and black wires, as I have seen some Turner mics use red for TX and black for RX.

Hope this helps. :)

~Cheers~

That's the kind of wiring I remember.... You must be an old man like me, but with a better memory! LOL! Been on Radio since '71.... Was actually too young for the U.S. license at the time, so dad fudged one for me.

But Thank you... Will check the schematic on the mic to check for TX and RX.... Like I said I have the original paperwork and box... ALMOST hated to use it but they were sooooo much better built back then!

73's from New York City

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?