• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

40 M. Wire Antenna

Well wire antennas are a "compromise" when DX'ING is considered. Multi element beams are the usual choice for big time DX strictly speaking. When the propagation is great, you can work the world with a dipole.

A horizontal 80 meter Loop has been my choice for an everyday - all purpose antenna and I've talked more than 2,000 miles on it with good propagation.

Good luck

A 40 meter dipole works just fine. Combine that with a vertical of some kind and you can pretty well cover the band with propagation changes. A beam would be great, but I don't have anywhere to put one, too big. I also tend to use a horizontal 80 meter loop when I can, it does get sort of directional on 40 meters, but if it's in the direction I want, good. If not, just wait awhile things change.
- 'Doc

The only wire antenna for 40 meters I've ever used is a dipole. Not the best, but it's what I have up. Like they say...when the band is open...

This worked Great!

I know this topic few days old, but thought I might pass along info anyway.
I had this up till just a couple months back. I had it up for over a year+, I loved it! The best direction seemed to be S. Pacific region. I worked the Aussie's and New Zealand (VK/ZL's) easily on 40m. The tree support is almost due West from the feed point
The "Backfired" array got excellent reports also in Hawaii and Alaska from Central Indiana. She worked well off the back corners to Europe and S. America also. I could work them if I could hear them.
I drop that tower and now have a 2 element version for 75m (63ft each side of center)using .15 wave (approx. 35 ft ) spacing with the first and second elements feed 180 degrees out of phase. I supported it between 2 trees about 35 ft above ground. The ends are about 20 ft above ground. This antenna works great off each corner and well to the west coast of US. The backside is down from the corners but I can work well any direction within about 500 miles.
These antennas both also worked well on 20/17/15 meter bands with the outboard manual tuner.
When I get the new tower complete I will put the 4 element version back up and move the 75m/ 2 element version to the tree I have to the NE...So I can use either.
All the Best
BJ

Attachments

• NEW ANTENNA.jpg
    NEW ANTENNA.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 204

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.