• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

4300-300, 98VHP, or 63FFC2 ???

Snake Eyes

Oct 24, 2007
I like the 4300-300.

Also, I am fond of the 98VHP and the 63FFC2.

While my mind is almost made up (not quite), perhaps you can help me or someone else, make a decision on one of these high powered radios.

Thanks,
Snake Eyes

it has squelch . its the first knob on the left behind the volume conrtol .
any particular reason for wanting high power built in or just space savings ?
have you considered a RCI 2970DX or do you want to stick with trucker/CB style radios ? i bet DTB could set you up with a sweet one .

I see the squelch and have updated my post (thanks Booty Monster)!

I don't want to have to run a linear bigger than the 400-450 watt output of the Connex, and am in an HOA area. I also have a Kenwood radio for sideband.

So, that kind of brings me to my next question:

What about having the 4300-300 done "not to exceed 100% modulation?"

I am stumped on this front, and I really need to be able to get out on AM, but what do you all think about this "not to exceed 100% modulation" bit, and using a power mic to boot?

Am I all wet?

Is this possible?

Would I want to do that on this type of radio?

Any comments/suggestions?

Thanks indeed!
Snake Eyes

Snake Eyes said:
I like the 4300-300.

Also, I am fond of the 98VHP and the 63FFC2.

While my mind is almost made up (not quite), perhaps you can help me or someone else, make a decision on one of these high powered radios.

Thanks,
Snake Eyes

Go with the 98vhp

Ive heard it kicks but hard. could drive an 8 pill nicely too. And it has sideband. i dont believe the 63ffc2 does. but the Connex is also nice as well but personally id go with the galaxy.

And its a might purrty radio too
GalaxyDX98VHP.jpg

My 2 cents

73's
~202~

Now if you dont care about sideband. and want to kick but all over am.
Go with the connex.
400-500 watts and more if you put 2879's in it.
no other radio comes close.
Also a purrty radio. very plain simply looking.
Connex4300-300.jpg

The 4300-300 is a cinch as I do have a great SSB radio, but where do I get the new transistors and or finals installed on the Connex, (to make it do 500+ watts of course)?

Snake Eyes

Whatever radio you get don't go jacking it all up by putting 2879's in it. That has to be the poorest suggestion I have seen yet. Give the radio a nice clean correct tune and leave it alone. If you want more power get a smaller radio and a decent amp or keep the radio and get a big amp. I'm sure it's already going on, hack shops all across the country are charging drivers 150 bucks to put "hotter finals" in their new Galaxy 98. And then I'm sure they quote them some rediculous wattage number so they can brag about this Big radio they got. What a waste of money and an exellent radio gets wrecked.

I would like to know from someone that has either of these radio's what they do with a proper tune? I guess I would rather have one that does say 375 on frequency properly modulated watts then 450 overmodulated splattering watts.

and i,ll bet they are just swapping in the 2879`s with no other changes ...this just simply cannot be done ...theres alot more to it than just swapping in other transistors.then theres the added heat factor,not too mention the stress on associated parts and the power line coming in .not worth doing in my opinion .if guys want more power i dont know why they just dont buy a amp and run it .

then theres the trucker that says my company wont let me run a amplifier .well then whats that built into that radio then ?a amplifier right?lol.....
good luck with whatever you choose,just dont believe the hype about swapping in bigger transistors,its not needed,its just thier way of getting in your pocket.

a connex, galaxy, rci with 2 2879's wont do 500 watts powered by lightning and tuned by god himself. you are taking 2 120watt transistors and expecting them to do over 200%. at best you see a real 140-175 each (if volted- not possible when used in the radio without serious changes and stacking batterys, a motor maul, or 18v system).

most applications see 130-140 each, well under 300 watts and no where near 500 watts.

buy a smaller radio and buy an external amp, its cheaper, you have more options, and it will make more power. it kills me that guys buy these 200 watt radio's and run 4 foot firestick's. put the money where it matters, the feedline and antenna.

a dosy or a bird43p cannot correcty read true pep. use a scope, a powered meter, or a calculator. im not trying to be a dick but every year these same old parts magically make more and more power.

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the great responses so far! I have decided to go with the Connex 4300-300 for two reasons, for which I will state - because you never know who may be helped by all of this. :)

One. Because I have a slip seat (and I have to be able to mount a radio that's mic connection is in the front), which will stay in the house 95% of the time (plus 5% when transporting though not operational then lol).

Two. Because I need a good AM radio (but don't want to buy a radio and an amp due to not needing a whole lot of power) that will put out a nice amount of watts not to exceed 100% modulation - this is a must! Although it is doubtful I will run max power all that often.

And these are the reasons!

I inquired about the upgraded finals on the Connex and such to see how intrusive it would be, and it seems way too intrusive for my liking.

I also was somewhat interested in the other two radios (moreso until I realized I would be using the slipseat).

Now, I would be interested to find out two additional things. 1) your experiences with Copper Electronics' Technical Work (I intend on telling the tech not to exceed 100% modulation with my setup). And 2) What are your experiences with RFI/TVI in the radios that Ranger produces (RCI, Galaxy, Connex).

Thanks again for all your help!!!

Snake Eyes

The only thing that you are gonna want to change in that 4300-300 is the echo and the talkback. i would suggest a trb-1 and utb talk back module. unless you dont use echo, then dont worry about it.

I've read something about some issues with echo/talk back here on the forum, but I figure they have been "fixed"?

What exactly do I want to look out for?

I'm also thinking about getting the roger beep module installed.

Thanks,
Snake Eyes

I think you may be looking over one very important thing snake. If you do slip seat like you say are you willing to take out and then reinstall the power wires to the battery each time? There is no way that a Connex 4300-300 will work off of anything less than being ran straight to the battery. Not to mention that you will have to have your antenna set up right with low swr ( no factory coax or antennas here ) good coax and antenna or you will just be blowing $550.00 ( literally ) for nothing.

If you want power to talk well on AM in something that will work off of the factory cb power supply location then i would get a Galaxy 48T. Loud radio...great sound and receive....and it will work with out running the power wires to the battery. I have used mine like that in my truck for years with no decrease in power or performance. I even checked and it still does the same amount of power ( 150+ ) no matter if it's to the battery or to the factory location. Just had to install a larger fuse on the fuse panel.

It's your money so you with it what you want.....but dont say i didn't warn you:)

somewhere in here i said i was not going to use the slip seat except in a fixed area in my home. it will head to the jeep each time i transport it somewhere, but will not be hooked up in the vehicle. i have an astron 70 amp power supply for the home, which is the only place it will be operational.

73, Snake Eyes

The connex 4300-300 does NOT have 2 transistors...They come factory with 4 SD1446's...

Carl said:
a connex, galaxy, rci with 2 2879's wont do 500 watts powered by lightning and tuned by god himself. you are taking 2 120watt transistors and expecting them to do over 200%. at best you see a real 140-175 each (if volted- not possible when used in the radio without serious changes and stacking batterys, a motor maul, or 18v system).

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.