1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

5/8 Wave groundplane 1.5:1 SWR all over the band

Discussion in 'CB Antennas' started by mattsowders1989, Dec 4, 2019.

1. AudioShockwav

AudioShockwav Extraterrestrial Admin
    Staff Member

W9 is aware of SWR and its effects on radios and feed lines.
    The difference is that if you are running more than one band sometimes it is common to work into higher SWR to achieve a much larger bandwidth.
    Ham operators do this all the time.
    Jeff

Marconi and RT431 like this.

2. Marconi

Marconi Usually if I can hear em' I can talk to em'.

Jeff, in this case do you guys then use a tuner to reduce your SWR?

3. AudioShockwav

AudioShockwav Extraterrestrial Admin
    Staff Member

Often , yes we do.
    You can build antennas like fan dipoles and others that cover multi bands as well.
    When trying to work multiple frequencys with limited resources , space, restrictions, materals, you sometimes have to settle for a compromise.
    Feeding these antennas with twin lead/ladder line helps reduce loss you would have in coax.
    Jeff

RT431 likes this.
  4. 357

357 Walkin' the dog

Dang my list of Imax replacements just got shorter but good to know

5. w9cll

w9cll W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

ha ha you are funny Chris

AudioShockwav, RT431 and The DB like this.
  6. w9cll

Yes and no, generally if the SWR is 2.0 or below I won't use the tuner. If it goes over 2 I will. Now saying this I do run a tube rig (final output is tube-based) and they can handle higher SWR better than solid-state can

7. Marconi

Marconi Usually if I can hear em' I can talk to em'.

w9cll, I agree with your comments below and you make sense, but I'm not sure Matt and other CB operators understand when you say:
    I don't think you and other ham operators give the CB operators bad information, as in this case, but I often wonder if they fail to understand...without the added information your post above in your follow-up comments. (y)

#82 Marconi, Jan 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    AudioShockwav likes this.
  8. w9cll

I think a lot of 11 meter and begining hams are feed incorrect information. I know when I was starting out in CB in 1973 I was told low SWR was most important. Its not ans I came to learn that over time. Its wonderful that forums like this exsist and information is ready available.

Marconi and AudioShockwav like this.
  9. 543_Dallas

543_Dallas Sr. Member

Tube gear doesn't mind less than perfect swr because it's up to the operator match it to the load.

One issue that doesn't necessarily result in failure with solid state stuff is that they are designed for a 50 ohm load and perform best with low swr. You will see changes in percentage of modulation with a solid state high level modulated cb set. Maybe cause it to overmodulate, undermodulate or distortion of the waveform. It will effect the ALC on some solid state HF rigs.

You wouldn't want to intentionally run a tube rig that isn't properly tuned and I don't think you should run the solid state stuff into a mismatched load. Both are equally bad IMO.

10. w9cll

Exactly