• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

5 and 8 element beam plans.

MonsterAudio

Mar 17, 2011
does anybody know where to get plans for a 5 and 8 element beam?
outside of Maco and the other main builders, im looking for some tested plans for those 2 sizes to experiment with.
Im really looking for a long boom design for each, any ideas?

11 meter Dx antenna systemx
or All about antennas (were still working on that one)
or drop me a mail (or put it here on the forum) containing:

-boomlength
-element diamters (incuding tappered length if there is any)
-if your planning on using other material then aluminium please do mention.
-What is your idea of matching?

Another question would be...what is it what your looking for?

What happens...
Say you have a so called long boom...though this sounds nice,
it is a yagi with a relative small number of elements on 1 boom say 18 feet 4 elements.
That will provide high gain! true !
But it has some downsides, often long boom high gain yagis will provide a low impedance, they will have a relative small swr bandwidth, the antenna will be a cricital one and will not allow construction error and will become more critical for noises from rain etc.

The solution to that is to add a additional element in front of the radiating element.
Thats known as a "owa" design.
Now you have got a 5elements on a 18 foot boom The forward gain will be more or less equal to the previous mentioned 4elements on the same boom.
(as gain primairily comes from boomlength)
But the SWR bandwidth has become much wider.
The impedance will be much higher..infact it can be around 50ohms, that means there will be no losses in matching networks :)

Regards,

Henry
11 meter Dx antenna systemx

Last edited:
FWIW I copied Maco's 5 element design a few times after looking around for a long time. One time I used a hairpin match because the antenna was made out of a hacked up tribander with a split driven element.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.