1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

5' antenna recommendations

Discussion in 'CB Antennas' started by SuperDave, Dec 16, 2013.

1. SuperDave

SuperDave Active Member

I'm looking for a 4' or 5' antenna to use in place of my whip because I can't use my whip all the time.

Any recommendations? I'm running a TS500 so it needs to have the ability to hold some watts.

K40 4' super flex? Firestick? or all they just about the same?

2. w9cll

w9cll W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

TS500?

3. SuperDave

SuperDave Active Member

Texas Star 500

4. W5LZ

W5LZ Crotchety Old Bastard

I can't recommend any particular antenna but can give this advice. Look for an antenna of the required length that can handle at least twice whatever power you plan to feed it. I'd also recommend that you discount the typical manufacturer's power ratings by at least half or more. Or even better, figure those ratings are in Pep and you figure your power in Avg units. Sounds like a lot of over-kill, but it's certainly safer.
    If you think you might want to make your own instead of buying an antenna, and you have the ability to do some welding, and if you have a typical 102" whip, you have a pretty good starting point. That would require some experimentation, but you'd probably end up with an antenna capable of handling whatever you put into it.
    Not much specific help, huh? Sorry...
    - 'Doc

5. w9cll

w9cll W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

Since the Ts500 is listed as a CW transmitter then your key down time will be very short but is many pulses. I commend you for running CW moblie, that really takes skill. :pop:

Ok all joking aside I can't add more then what Doc already said.

6. 22racer

22racer Member

As far as 4 or 5 ft fiberglass antennas are concerned I ve had my best luck with Firestik. Only took about 8 months to wear the outer insulation off a 4 ft K40. Then the conductor where the insulation was worn opened and the element was waay to short for 27mhz. I used a 5ft Firestik FS2 mounted in the same position for two years after that without a problem. I run a Wilson 5000 mag mount in the center of the roof now.

7. dave457

dave457 Sr. Member

Skipshooter antenna

Sent from my SGH-T599N using Tapatalk

8. kor b

kor b Member

I also use a skipshooter at this time. I like it and it's rated for some power...how much power I'm not real sure, but I don't have a box in line for now.

9. 2RT307

2RT307 Sr. Member

I have ran both the Wilson Silver Load and the Firestik II. Both worked well, and handled a TS500 without any problems.

RT307

10. Robb

Robb Yup

I liked the 5 ft SilverLoad. Top loaded. So long as it is properly mounted, either antenna is fine. I run the Sirio 5000 now because it is a quite a bit taller and I like it best for RX and TX over any other tried so far.

1 person likes this.
  11. SuperDave

SuperDave Active Member

I've got a 5' Silver load and it used to have flat SWR but no longer does. I switched tool boxes on my truck and the only thing I can thnk of is that this new box isn't grounded well enough to the bed/frame?

I hooked up the grounding wire on the silver load and my SWR doesn't change.. It's just sky high. However I can put the whip on and my SWR is perfect.

Any ideas?

12. 22racer

22racer Member

Since the 102" whip seems to be working well (with the same mount and coax Im assuming) first thing I would do is go over that silver load with a fine tooth comb. Any damage to the wire conductor that is wound up the fiberglass shaft can result in a loss in performance...

13. W5LZ

By any chance... was that new tool box a 'diamond-plate' one? I had one that I mounted antennas on that was a real PITA, they never made a good 'seal' if that makes sense. I finally resorted to an 'L' type bracket and/or a mount that bolted to the box. A typical antenna mount is made for a 'flat' surface not one with 'bumps' on it. (Electrically they did fine, but the box was always 'wet' after mounting them.) The hinges can be a problem because of any non-metal bushings. Same for the latches. The antennas were finally mounted to the sides/front of the box.
    Good luck.
    - 'Doc

14. SuperDave

SuperDave Active Member

It is diamond plate but the old was too. With the old box I could get my SWR to nearly flat on all 40ch. The only difference is that the old box was bolt to the floor of the bed and the new one uses J hooks that clamp under the rail. I'm going to try to ground the toolbox to the bed and see if that changes anything.

The Wilson has ears and I can receive and I've also noticed that there isn't as much static or interference with this antenna when compared to the 102.

15. W5LZ

:)
    I had to replace those 'J'-hooks with 1/4" bolts through the bed rails. Didn't believe it but one antenna was large enough that it broke the box loose from those hooks. Your antenna isn't going to be that large so that's a different deal. But... live-n-learn.
    - 'Doc