• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

5 Foot Firestik Range Question.

DualAntennas

Oct 6, 2013
Just for Conversation sake...LOL...

How much would it increase the range of a 5 foot firestik FS II with tunable tip if you put it on a 60 foot tower

How far could you expect to get out

THIS IS JUST FOR CONVERSATION SAKE LOL HE HE HE

First off, if you had access to such a tower, or actually paid to put it up, why would you waste it on a 5' antenna in the first place?

A 5' cb antenna is a compromise antenna to begin with. Yes, putting it up on a 60' tower with a proper ground plane underneath it would definitely be a huge improvement over mounting it on a car or truck, but if your going through all of the trouble of a tower install why would you use an antenna that in the best of situations will always be a compromise?

I specifically stayed away from beams because the op's posts since he started here doesn't seem to have any interest in DX...

The DB

Reactions: 2 people
Just for Conversation sake...LOL...

How much would it increase the range of a 5 foot firestik FS II with tunable tip if you put it on a 60 foot tower

How far could you expect to get out

THIS IS JUST FOR CONVERSATION SAKE LOL HE HE HE

This thread is just for conversation sake what range would U get with a 5 Foot firestik on a tower???

This thread is just for conversation sake what range would U get with a 5 Foot firestik on a tower???

The question is very interesting.

It is very difficult to give a correct answer.

But if the tower contributes, the results can be surprising, and far exceed supposedly more powerful antennas.

Assume that the tower is not radiating at any vertical antenna system suited to them, is fantasy.

(y)

OK, just for conversations sake...

The best answer for this scenario is "not enough information given". How much power are you putting into the coax? What is the terrain like in the area? What type and brand of coax are you using? While we are on coax, how long is the coax run? Was the end or ends that are outdoors adequately sealed from the weather or have they suffered damage? Was the antenna tuned by someone who actually knows what they are doing or by you using an SWR meter on the radio side of the feedline, or was it even tuned at all? Did you bother to put up a ground plane for the antenna, and if so was it full size (aka much bigger than the shortened vertical antenna you are asking about, almost four time the diameter in fact)?

I can go on with these questions...

Assuming everything was done properly, except obviously for the antenna choice, I wouldn't be surprised at a 50 plus mile range depending on several factors. I also wouldn't be surprised if you struggled to get 20 miles, again, depending on the setup and local terrain.

The DB

I don't think there's any good/reliable method of quantifying an increase in 'range' because of an increase in height. I think there would be an increase in 'range', but how can anyone say how much? There's no direct relationship, no 'this many miles for each foot of height' on HF. For VHF/UHF, or any other 'line of sight' type band, there is a relationship which can be calculated by geometry (or spherical geometry). But 11 meters isn't a 'line of sight' band, so your guess is probably as good as anyone elses. 'Momma Nature' is the one who determines 'range' on HF by 'her' propagation.
- 'Doc

well i dont know what kinda range youd get. imho anything less than 9feet is a comprise
so that being said a 102 whip on same tower would give ya better results.
next the m-400 starduster would be the next step up giving even better results
you get the idea. imho i think you could get much better results using a spt500
or sirio v4000. mounted low to the ground

Just for conversation sake, let's suppose the OP of this thread is just asking rather inane questions just for the sake of it to see how far people will go and try to give legitimate answers.

This is just for conversation sake lol hee hee.

Just For CONversation sake not technical
I said that this thread is just for CONVO....
in the OP nobody paid attenion i guess

If anybody had to take a guess....
With stock 4 watts. with 5 foot firestik FS II
On 60 ft. tower.
Range Guess

Reactions: 1 person
If I had a 60 foot tower I would put my Sirio Vector 4000 on top along with various other antennas. Done tried the 102" SS whip on my tower. The A99 is head and shoulders better than a 1/4 wave whip and much more than a Firestik. It's akin to putting a Briggs&Stratton engine in a corvette.
That's my .39 cents.

If you install the Firestik at 20 feet tall hat before....

You can use the tower as radiating from 5/8 and Firestik would be a ground plane.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.