• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

5 m-105 flatsides new in box

Mar 17, 2006
need little help on this
going to set up 4 50 foot towers
already sold one
going to set 4 m-105 flatsides up in an array of some sort
how far apart do i have to set the towers
have plenty of acreage to do this also have a storage building can set in the middle then when i need to i can hook up all 4 beams to the mobile

any thoughts on this setup
the rotors are twister2 and only have 2 brake boxes
i already hooked all 4 rotors togetherto one box and all turn and brake at the same time

so will this work when set up on tower

No need to re-invent the wheel. Stack them on a single tower. It takes a bit of work to get them right, but in the end it is the best bet!

A simple search on Google about STACKING BEAMS should yield a bunch of results!

nice google search
what im wanting to do is set these 50 foot towers up say 100 feet apart in a row

now should i run to south or east to west
im thinking north to south since im in texas

and in setting all 4 of them up will my recieve and transmit increase?

im not to good at setting up a base setup
now i can run a mobile

so i can drive out to the location and park inbetweeen the towers and hook them up to my mobile

just some thought

Well 555, I encourage your enterprize, but if you don't know the answer to your question, then you have a big handicap just going in. Unless you can solve the likely feed line problems you will have, your mobile probably won't get you a break on channel 19 if you are within 3 miles of the highway. Phasing is a bit of a compromise with power and the 100' apart business will require a very long run of lossy feed line or you will spend a ton of money on an alternative. When guys with one nice working beam at about 40 - 100 feet high can talk to very far stations when conditions permit, it just doesn't speak well for your idea.

Was your test with the rotors done with a short line?

Phasing problems apply to more than just the coax cables too.The fact that when the beams are turned each one of them will be slightly closer or further away from the station you are talking to will result in the signals from each being a bit out of phase with the next antenna etc.Huge military arrays using multiple antennas on multiple towers work this way but each antenna is fed through a variable phase delay system so that when one antenna is actually 100 feet (or whatever) closer it's signal can still be fed in phase with all the others.The single tower stack is the best way to go.All you need to worry about then is the cable lengths which is within your control.Phasing due to time lag at various beam headings is not.

hmmmm????????????
well how about a 50 or 60 foot tower with a stacking kit from jogunn antennas

the rotors were tested with all four cables hooked up with each bundle of rotor wire
i think they are 150 long

seemed to work ok

The problem that you have is, the spacing needed for stacking. Ideally, you need to have the antennas one wavelength apart (~36ft). To accomplish this, you will need to use at least a 75ft tower and rotate the tower. a lot of work and money for <6db of gain.

Rich

With your budget, just go up two hundred feet and get a 4 element stacked set of co-linear 1/2 wave dipoles on the favored side of the tower and it will probably do about as good in gain and be pretty much omni without the trouble of rotors and bad weather problems.

Well lets see if i cant jump into a tuff project

i seen these 105s stacked on the shelf still in box and could picture seeing 4 beams 50 foot up each one 100 feet apart in an array

well going to sell some of it and keep a beam for me and 75 foot of tower and rotor
and put the rest of the cash into the mobile

:cry: :cry: :cry: :x :x :x :cry: :cry: :cry:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.