• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

$50 craigslist find of the week, boat anchors & tube amp

towerdog

one-niner-seven
Nov 18, 2009
NC
Sonar 23 (just the name means cool)
and Teaberry Model-T

towerdog-albums-radios-picture3098-dsc00863.jpg

And Sonar BR-21 amplifier
towerdog-albums-radios-picture3099-dsc00864.jpg

also got a A99, an old D-104 and a 8' whip.

Supposedly the guy used to talk on them 8 years ago.
The Teaberry powered up and had audio that would rival a top end vintage AM radio, unfortunately one of the caps turned into a cannon before I could wire up a mic to talk on it.
The sonar seems to work alright as well, unfortunately I dont have a audio plug (yet) to hook up a mic
The amp almost works, relay dont key but plate current is right in spec of 50-75ma to 300ma when i force the relay. Manual says bad tubes will cause relay to not key, but more than likely caps have dried out.

Beautiful radios, I used to run a FS-2340, one of the first ones that had the Multi-chip PLL factory conversion, awesome rig, great audio, 2 6bq5`s in push -pull modulating a 6bq5 in the final PA. ( the 6bq5 is the same tube used in the infamous JB-12 modulator)
.....enjoy.

Jeff

Ya'all takin me back to the days of my early radio'n when I had me a General MC-11A

GRT-Super-MC11A.jpg

But mine still had the rack mount handles.

how much power can you get out of one of these rigs without major re-engineering? Don't they use whats called high-level or plate modulation?

I am probably going to sell one of these rigs and keep another one, not like I need it but I just love the RX audio and have a good idea that the TX audio will match it.

Sonar 23 (just the name means cool)
and Teaberry Model-T

towerdog-albums-radios-picture3098-dsc00863.jpg

And Sonar BR-21 amplifier
towerdog-albums-radios-picture3099-dsc00864.jpg

also got a A99, an old D-104 and a 8' whip.

Supposedly the guy used to talk on them 8 years ago.
The Teaberry powered up and had audio that would rival a top end vintage AM radio, unfortunately one of the caps turned into a cannon before I could wire up a mic to talk on it.
The sonar seems to work alright as well, unfortunately I dont have a audio plug (yet) to hook up a mic
The amp almost works, relay dont key but plate current is right in spec of 50-75ma to 300ma when i force the relay. Manual says bad tubes will cause relay to not key, but more than likely caps have dried out.

Your joking right,you got those for $50? I think i'm going to cry{Cry_river}

You must watch craigslist with vigilance to find these, and have money.
I cried for 2 days straight when somebody posted a CPI-2000 for $50, and I was broke. I tried to sell my soul but the devil said it was only worth $15.

Nice Score!

I have a near mint Teaberry T with the Matching mic... except I paid double what you did for the entire pile of stuff you scored!

I have a couple room warmers

Attachments

• TBerry.JPG
    TBerry.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 3
  • Vintage crew.JPG
    Vintage crew.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 3
That is why I do not mess with the old radios....if you do...you need to have them re-capped before you even turn them on.

That is why I do not mess with the old radios....if you do...you need to have them re-capped before you even turn them on.

Blah...

caps are cheap, the radios are easy to work on, and glowing tubes is the coolest thing since Sliced bread...

Not to mention the audio tones are outstanding, and can be made down right killer very easily...

(y)

Blah...

caps are cheap, the radios are easy to work on, and glowing tubes is the coolest thing since Sliced bread...

Not to mention the audio tones are outstanding, and can be made down right killer very easily...

(y)

I agree.....I play electric guitar and use only tube amps....but when I buy a vintage amp....I take it to my tech and have it re-capped.

I loce Craigslist! I ahve found some cool gear for CHEAP! last week i scored 2 Johnson Messenger 2s for $40.00 for the pair and they BOTH work! The crystals alone are worth the $$.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?