• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

500W 50 ohm DUMMY LOAD

Good luck. I don't know what the description means ("98% new and real shot"). Ten of them in parallel means you have ten times the potential failures. Then again, ten 50-ohm resistors in parallel results in a resistance of only FIVE ohms, not 50.

Good luck. I don't know what the description means ("98% new and real shot")....

My knowledge of Chinglish tells me that means the picture is a real (actual) picture, shot (photographed) by the seller.

The 98%,...........??
confused2.gif

I would buy an item called "Cantenna". Watts no problem.

I have been trying to get away from oil filled loads. I have a home made load consisting of a Gates 1000 watt dummy load made from ten 100 watt 500 ohm Globar resistors in parallel. It is suspended in a 12 quart stock pot full of silicone load oil. It will take pretty much whatever i wanted to hit it with including 1000 watts of 100% modulated AM for expended periods of time until the oil gets hot. A few years ago I acquired a 200 watt Termaline (?) dry load. I also bought a pair of 100 ohm 800 watt ceramic chip resistors from Henry Radio and mounted them on a heatsink measuring 15 x 10.5 x 1.75 inches. It wortks well but I just don't have the power to really tax it. I have a couple more of those heatsinks and may build a better load with ceramic chip resistors. The best way to build one is to use a piece of think copper plate between the chip and the sink to help with rapid dispersal of heat over the area as copper will transfer the heat better than the aluminum.

That works if you can insulate them from the heatsink & hook them up without introducing too much inductance or stray capacitance.

That works if you can insulate them from the heatsink & hook them up without introducing too much inductance or stray capacitance.

I will probably use a large diameter hookup wire between the devices, and keep the lengths as short as possible. I was going to use Bergquist type 800 insulating material as insulators between the sink and the resistors. What do you think ??

insulation robb,
399 has resistors that are normally bolted & electrically connected to the heatsink,
wiring them as per his schematic means insulating and clamping them while still been able to make short electrical connections to the wire leads & mounting flanges,

im sure its doable but not as simple as bolting some resistors to a sink and running wires between them,

i would not expect the full power rating using pads but they work ok in mosfet cb amps,

Reactions: Robb and unit_399
I have been trying to get away from oil filled loads. I have a home made load consisting of a Gates 1000 watt dummy load made from ten 100 watt 500 ohm Globar resistors in parallel. It is suspended in a 12 quart stock pot full of silicone load oil. It will take pretty much whatever i wanted to hit it with including 1000 watts of 100% modulated AM for expended periods of time until the oil gets hot. A few years ago I acquired a 200 watt Termaline (?) .
I got this one off of eBay and it had fans on it and it sounded like a bomber squadron when I used it.
3802-1448937331-f45e14ac15265586a65558f09b084731.jpg

This one will handle full legal limit with the fans on it. I run it intermittently with no more than 500 watts with out the fans. Since this photo was taken I have put the fans back on with thermostatic control.

I will probably use a large diameter hookup wire between the devices, and keep the lengths as short as possible. I was going to use Bergquist type 800 insulating material as insulators between the sink and the resistors. What do you think ??

Don't forget that you also have to use insulated mounting hardware like nylon screws to mount the devices or at the very least a nylon flange washer under the head of a metal screw to insulate the mounting hardware from the device otherwise the mounting screws would simply short the device to the heatsink.

Reactions: unit_399

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.