• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

5555n - Push Buttons - lighting

jrd426

Sep 5, 2018
Hello, does anyone know if its possible to add lighting to the lower row of push buttons on the older 5555n ? I think i either read this or it was mentioned in a video i watched but after doing some searching cant find a thing. Maybe someone here can shed some light :)
Thx in advance 73's

It really is surprising that they didn't add that on the new version although it doesn't bother me using it as a base.

Is it doable, yes. You'd have to take one apart to see what kind of room there is to work with. That would determine how easy it would be to do.

Thanks Eldorado. I have never cracked it open to see this area behind the buttons but maybe over the weekend.
Cheers

Reactions: Eldorado828
Sure Dr. Apparently its been done already but no real info. It really should have been done at the factory considering how little it really would have cost.

I bet that's a little intense for those but maybe you can dim it down. I think the size might be a problem though. Show us what that faceplate looks like underneath there. I was thinking some 3mm leds in series or some nitro rings under there might work but really all depends on the clearances you run into.

Yep. Agreed. I picked that up locally for a few bucks so figured i could drop the intensity if needed. Will pop open the radio tomorrow and check things out closer. 3mm leds is something im looking at / mounting options as well.

Some pics of the 5555n inside. Lots of room but the front display area where i was hoping would be somewhat accessible isnt. I suppose i could pull it all apart to see whats in behind the buttons but not sure i will. I will have to think about it and see if its worth the effort.

Attachments

• 20230903_194026.jpg
    20230903_194026.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
  • 20230903_194010.jpg
    20230903_194010.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
  • 20230903_194000.jpg
    20230903_194000.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 11
Some pics of the 5555n inside. Lots of room but the front display area where i was hoping would be somewhat accessible isnt. I suppose i could pull it all apart to see whats in behind the buttons but not sure i will. I will have to think about it and see if its worth the effort.
I thought it was the faceplate that you were taking apart. That's where you'll find out what you're up against. Probably have to remove the knobs before the screws on the pcb so it comes apart.
I personally wouldn't bother with it unless you're committed.

On a side note, one would think that with all that Qixiang puts out there, having illuminated buttons isnt really a huge stretch to add on all their newer and future radios. Lots of users like to operate with low light so only makes sense.

Decided to try an idea i had. Works not bad i think. No need to remove anything with this method. Let me know what you think. Pic taken lights off.

Attachments

• 20230904_101518.jpg
    20230904_101518.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 9
  • 20230904_101507.jpg
    20230904_101507.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 9
I realize the butron lighting is not perfectly or evenly distributed but thinking i can live with it and way better then nothing. Plus the low tech solution is a piece of cake. My next step is to eliminate the 3 x 1.5v aaa batteries that currently power the small cob led strip. Thinking of trying a 3v button cell / holder. Thats not 4.5v but might be good enough running light at 3v. Was also thinking maybe i could tap into 12v in the radio and use some value of resistor that would drop the volts down to the 4.5v ish ?? Looking for other suggestions on powering my 4.5v led strip.
73s

I realize the butron lighting is not perfectly or evenly distributed but thinking i can live with it and way better then nothing. Plus the low tech solution is a piece of cake. My next step is to eliminate the 3 x 1.5v aaa batteries that currently power the small cob led strip. Thinking of trying a 3v button cell / holder. Thats not 4.5v but might be good enough running light at 3v. Was also thinking maybe i could tap into 12v in the radio and use some value of resistor that would drop the volts down to the 4.5v ish ?? Looking for other suggestions on powering my 4.5v led strip.
73s

5 volt regulator like the LM7505 tapped into the 12 volt line might do the trick. Or even just a couple of resistors and a 5 volt zener diode like this guy demonstrates:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.