• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

6 meter

ford074

Apr 5, 2005
Iowa
Does anybody talk 6 meter? I was thinks about trying it while the FCC decide weather or not to drop the CW requirement for HF rights like the ITU suggests.

Any cheap used 6 meter rigs I should look for?

clublincoln.gif
</p>

Hello Ford074:

I needed a 6 meter radio to do some antenna testing on 6 meters, and I also wanted

a cheap radio.

I wound up with a Icom 746, it does all the HF Bands, 6 meters, and 2 meters with 100

watts output on all the bands. I am very impressed with this radio, it has a 100 memories

that I have all the different frequencies I need stored into the radio.

I bought the radio used, but the prices should be dropping since Icom is now coming

out with a 746 PRO model, that is even better!

I figured once I have the antenna testing done for 6 meters, I'll dump the 746 and go on,

to bigger and better things. But now I am keeping the radio.

The Icom 746 has 3 antenna SO-239 Connectors on the back of the radio, one for HF,

and one for 6 meters, that you can switch between, and a seperate 2 meter connector

for a 2 meter antenna.

I have I-10K Antennas for all three bands, 11/10, 6, and 2 meters, and I must admit it does

spoile ya. Being able to fire up one radio, keep and ear on all the diffeent bands with the

scan function, scanning the memory channels.

That way I will hear em bad mouthing me when they think I ain't ah listening. I also have

a speaker in the garage while working, allowing me to catch all the local air waves Poop!

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert, ..... just down the road ah ways from the fillin station

</p>

Man, I would be spoiled if I had a set-up like that! You've really got it going on.

I'll have to do some checking on that Icom. Not much by way of used rigs in the newspaper in my neck of the woods (Des Moines, IA) so, I'm learning what I can before I go the the next ham swap meet.

Thanks and take care.

clublincoln.gif
</p>

Plenty of 6 meter radios out there. Band openings are short, but 10 watts will talk across the country NFP.

Any one out there have something set up for the 49 MHz walkie talkie band? That could be the VHF freeband.

</p>

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.