• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

60's era mobile rig for wheeling?

oblvnnwtnjhn

Apr 27, 2023
Hi all,

I am looking for a 60's era mobile rig to use when wheeling the trails in my 61' Willys Jeep CJ5. I see some Johnson units and others, willing to go into the early 70's for the right features/quality.

What should I be looking for that's still useful? Also something that can be modded as/if needed.

Attachments

• 278181522_690936552149533_8019869494767466084_n.jpg
    278181522_690936552149533_8019869494767466084_n.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
Reactions: secret squirrel

Try to find some old CB catalogs online to look through, Lafayette, Allied, Henshaw's etc. It might be hard to come up with a radio that old that is the one you decide you want. Browsing Ebay for 23 channel CB radios may help. Lafayette 525 and 625 mobile rigs were pretty popular back in 1970. Back into the earlier 60's most mobile rigs were just a few channels. Crystals were kinda of expensive and you needed a full set of 46 crystals for 23 channels early on. So many mobile and even base radios only offered a few channels maybe 5 or 7. They were sold with maybe two channels and you chose and added more at your cost. I would look for a Lafayette 625 if it were my project and wanted to keep it real close to 1970 or a little earlier, and a Turner +2 mobile mic.
Newer, choice would be a 23 channel Cobra 29 and newer than that a 40 channel Cobra 29 to keep the mid 70's look or vibe. At least you can find all these regularly on Ebay.

Hi all,

I am looking for a 60's era mobile rig to use when wheeling the trails in my 61' Willys Jeep CJ5. I see some Johnson units and others, willing to go into the early 70's for the right features/quality.

What should I be looking for that's still useful? Also something that can be modded as/if needed.

I had a 63 CJ for a long time. Mine was like a terra cotta color. I ended up selling it and getting something with AC :giggle: and also non vacuum drivin windshield wipers. They don't work in snow at all...
The only recommendation I can offer is get a SSB radio.
Have fun

I ended up with an 11 channel (I think) Pace II that I may very well install in my ‘51 Chevy pickup. Bit of an age difference yes, but I liked the very simple look. Doesnt even have an S meter. Only radio that I have recapped 100 percent so far and it works very well. If I could only find the matching latch-lok bracket for it!

Reactions: secret squirrel
Thinking outside the box on this one. I would build a nice wooden slip seater box. I would build it a good size to fit between the front seat passenger and the driver. Get a nice modern CB and stereo, Clean, loud set of speakers. Set you a nice way to anchor it and release it quickly. A nice hardwood box will fit in very well, plus you can have a CB and stereo.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.