• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

.64 homebrew temporally finished and up with pics

007, I've heard this idea of 5/8 wave radials before, but how long will the radials be? Close to 22 feet???

maco v5/8......we've discussed this 20' SHORT 5/8 wave antenna previously.....anyway, uses 9' ground radials....22' radials are only 2' longer on each side....other then the weight/windload......but now i'm wondering......what would happen if the v5/8's radials were lengthened.....or angled.....or.....

maco v5/8......we've discussed this 20' SHORT 5/8 wave antenna previously.....anyway, uses 9' ground radials....22' radials are only 2' longer on each side....other then the weight/windload......but now i'm wondering......what would happen if the v5/8's radials were lengthened.....or angled.....or.....

"...22' radials are only 2' longer on each side"?

??

I'd probably go for a set of full .64, 23' guy wire radials.

I recall reading someone's post about how EZNEC wanted to see 5/8 radials for the 5/8 to work properly.

Booty, if you've got it matched well with downward angled radials I think it would be a clean looking installation to use the guy wires to an insulator for the counterpoise / radials.

No reason not to use 5/8 wl radial(s) as long as there's range in the matching network.

I had one up with one radial pulled off to one side of the tower a few years back.

It's detailed on this site somewhere if anyone cares.

info!

how long is the radiant?
my homebrew 5/8wgp has turned into a .64wgp . heres a few pics ....
IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

and a closer pic of the tuning ring befor i installed the so-239 .
100_0687.jpg

the dude that helped me had to leave unexpectedly so it doesnt have a coax choke and the feedpoint should have been 1 foot higher so the X hung down to fully straighten the wire ground elements , but its up and its working . their seems to not be enough slack to keep the antenna from preforming well though .

i just have my ears and some trusted locals to go by concerning its performance . the ears are definately better i can hear folks now on their bases that i couldnt hear at all befor and some that were scratchy are cleaner . what the locals are saying is a great example of how inaccurate s-meters on radios are . folks close to me say theres really little to no difference , no suprise due to close proximity . folks farther away say theyre getting up to 4+ additional s-units . i think thats a bit much , LOL . but i am able to talk to a few folks on ground wave barefoot now that i had to use power to be herd by them befor .

so ive got more ears and more signal strength being tx'ed , but certianly not 4 s-units for real . most are saying 1 to 3 more , still a bit generous , but i can tell a difference and so can locals/regulars on the other end .

my vswr has went down since it went up , which seems weird . with the verticle at 22 feet and 22 1/2 feet tall i couldnt get below 1.6 tuning it with the feedpoint 8 feet off the ground . with the verticle at 23 feet i was able to get down to 1.4 across 1-40 and it was 1.4 in the air the day it went up . a few weeks later and its now between 1.2 and 1.2 1/2 across 1-40 . i used noalox on its verticle and tapping point on the ring connections .

i want to make a few changes on it after the holidays . i want to swap the ground wires for horizontal ground elements (more tubing from DXengineering) and change the pressure treated 2x4 to a plastic 2x6 . i also plan to go to 2 inch condiuit for mast and get it a few feed higher . oh , and the coax choke , but i dont seem to have any noise or bleeding problems . my swr doesnt flop around when i mess with the extra coax , but ive read thats not really not a indicator of CMC's .

once again thanks to all who let me pick their brains and helps with their answers and advice .

......................................................... i think some sort of directional loop or H beams will be the project next spring ;) .

great work!

I made this ,but i have a question about the diameter of the ring?
my homebrew 5/8wgp has turned into a .64wgp . heres a few pics ....
IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

and a closer pic of the tuning ring befor i installed the so-239 .
100_0687.jpg

the dude that helped me had to leave unexpectedly so it doesnt have a coax choke and the feedpoint should have been 1 foot higher so the X hung down to fully straighten the wire ground elements , but its up and its working . their seems to not be enough slack to keep the antenna from preforming well though .

i just have my ears and some trusted locals to go by concerning its performance . the ears are definately better i can hear folks now on their bases that i couldnt hear at all befor and some that were scratchy are cleaner . what the locals are saying is a great example of how inaccurate s-meters on radios are . folks close to me say theres really little to no difference , no suprise due to close proximity . folks farther away say theyre getting up to 4+ additional s-units . i think thats a bit much , LOL . but i am able to talk to a few folks on ground wave barefoot now that i had to use power to be herd by them befor .

so ive got more ears and more signal strength being tx'ed , but certianly not 4 s-units for real . most are saying 1 to 3 more , still a bit generous , but i can tell a difference and so can locals/regulars on the other end .

my vswr has went down since it went up , which seems weird . with the verticle at 22 feet and 22 1/2 feet tall i couldnt get below 1.6 tuning it with the feedpoint 8 feet off the ground . with the verticle at 23 feet i was able to get down to 1.4 across 1-40 and it was 1.4 in the air the day it went up . a few weeks later and its now between 1.2 and 1.2 1/2 across 1-40 . i used noalox on its verticle and tapping point on the ring connections .

i want to make a few changes on it after the holidays . i want to swap the ground wires for horizontal ground elements (more tubing from DXengineering) and change the pressure treated 2x4 to a plastic 2x6 . i also plan to go to 2 inch condiuit for mast and get it a few feed higher . oh , and the coax choke , but i dont seem to have any noise or bleeding problems . my swr doesnt flop around when i mess with the extra coax , but ive read thats not really not a indicator of CMC's .

once again thanks to all who let me pick their brains and helps with their answers and advice .

......................................................... i think some sort of directional loop or H beams will be the project next spring ;) .

Attachments

• r1.JPG
    r1.JPG
    260.5 KB · Views: 517
I made this ,but i have a question about the diameter of the ring?

i used this simple pic of a 5/8 with element lengths mentioned on it .

antenna2.gif

the tuning ring is 6 ft in total including the upper and lower arm coming out from the vertical and ground elements/mast . your ring looks nice , even though you don't mention it's diameter . it also looks like you have some of the vertical inside the grounded mounting bracket which FWIU can have a capacitor effect .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated