• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

6LB6 Finals in FT-101EE

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Sep 25, 2010
Texas
Hi all. Been away too long. Finally got around to cleaning up my 101EE again and get some new tubes for it, popped one a while back, not sure why, tube just getting old or mis-tune was likely, as I was in a hurry. I bought a group of used tested good 6JS6C's for it, though they are mismatched, none of them match brand, they are not here yet.

Waiting on a set of 6LB6 matched pair to put in there instead.... I seen in searches where one member said he had success with the swap from 6JS6C to 6LB6 in a FT-101E but wanted to ask around some more and see if more than one person had good luck with it.

From what I gather, it's simply a matter of dropping them in, neutralize them, and start talking. Already did the 100pf to 10pf cap change in the neutralize circuit, which would have to be done to run/neutralize any non-Japan 6JS6C tubes anyway. I read in various places about the power difference. Is there REALLY a power output difference from 6JS6C to 6LB6? Or is it just on the 10 meters band? I can live with that, don't use the Yaesu much on 10 meters anyway, mostly 20-40-80 meters. I heard the 6LB6 will still give full output (120-200 watts) down there, but only 40-50 watts on 10 meters. What I am wondering is that just an issue for those who didn't retune the match between the driver/finals.... Pretty sure with a major change (change tube model of finals) you would need to be sure to retune the driver circuit after.

Wanting to go to 6LB6 because, cheaper, easier to find, easier to find matched pairs, may even be more reliable? Lower power output is NOT a big deal, as long as it still puts out enough power to drive an amplifier, then what does 10-20% difference in power output from the rig itself even matter? None, unless you are looking MAX EVERYTHING. Which I understand, some are, not me, not a big deal, talk all over the world on 100 watts from rig anyway.

I see in the Amplifiers section there is a lot of discussion about replacing VARIOUS tubes (like hard to find 8950's) with 6LB6's...

Thanks in Advance, all comments, suggestions, are welcome.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.