• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

7000 or 706?

KB1UGX

May 21, 2010
Please help me decide

I cant figure out if i want an icom 706G or an icom 7000

I am new to Ham

Here is what i will be doing
It is going to be used in home only
My main reason for picking these two are the following

1 i like icom
2 i am only a tech/ currently studying for general
3 I use 440 a lot on a local machine with freinds
4 Im mainly going to use 10 meters at the moment and some 6 untill i get my general

I live in a buliding with a fire escape and im pretty much limited to mag mount antennas because i can not errect a giant verticle or yagi as much as i want to.

I have heard some bad things about the 7000 UHF final and im not going to lie that scared me a bit although it looks like an amazing radio.
I have also not ruled out the yaesu 857 although im not crazy about the ultra small screen

I have read alot of reviews but wanted to hear maybe from some people here who could offer some

Thanks for any input and sorry to put this in this area wasnt sure if it should go here or the HF thread

I have owned all three rigs that you mentioned, although I have only recently acquired an Icom IC-7000. I owned the 706 MKIIg for quite a few years and used it several times a week in my Jeep. It is a very good rig, although like all of them, it does have some shortcomings. IMO, the best of the three is the Icom 7000.

The user interface on the 7000 is really pretty awesome for a rig that can be used as either a mobile or base. Icom tweaked the way the menu system and settings menu works to eliminate several of the annoyances of the 706. The IF DSP in the 706 is the best of the three rigs; best of all, you don't have to purchase additional filters. The stock mic on the 7000 is not adequate, but that's not a complicated fix. If you are interested in digital modes, one important consideration is that the 706 does not support PTT via CAT. That doesn't sound like a big deal, but several of the newer software programs expect that functionality.

Between the 706 and the Yaesu 857d, I still like the 706 better, mainly because of the screen and ease of use. After having used both rigs, I think the AF DSP in the 857 may work a little better than the 706, although it's more difficult to use. The 857's receiver seems to be a little better, as evidenced by the test results documented here: elecraft K2 HF Tranceiver Performance Numbers. When looking at those results, use the Yaesu 897 for comparison; it's basically the same as the 857. Test results aren't the "end all, be all" when it comes to radio, however. I think that the 857 is a difficult rig for the average ham to use.

So....if you have the cash, I would really recommend the Icom 7000. If you are trying to decide between the 706 or 857, I would try to use them both before deciding. In any case, whichever rig helps you get on HF quicker is the one you want to purchase (y)

I have the 7000 for 2 years and just love it. I know operators with the 706 and 857 and they like um too.

I will say the same thing as Moleculo, if you got the $ go with the 7000.

X3 for the 7000

I have no experience with the 706 or 857, but have been using a 7000 as a base for about 3 years now and really like it. (y)

I too love my 7000, right now it's used exclusively mobile but I have considered bringing it in to use.

Add me to the, "Me Too!" list on IC-7000 owners.

I've had my IC-7000 for about two and a half years now, and would buy another in a heartbeat. Mine is strictly a base station and never has been, or ever will be mobile. Looks nice on the desk, I love the external video, the filters, the RX, everything.

You won't go wrong.

I use mine with an LDG AT100-Pro auto tuner. I just find this to be a splendid combination. I especially like the quick push-button antenna switch on the tuner to swap between dipoles. Nice, neat, clean little station.

If funds are all that is keeping you from the IC-7000 and the other less expensive rigs -- just wait and take the time to save up to get the funds. You'll be glad you did.

IC7000 is Best choice..

I have both the 706MKII and IC7000
although advantages to both..
the 7000 is the best of your choices

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.