1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

75 Amp 12 volt RV power supply

Discussion in 'Ham Equipment' started by Mudfoot, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Sr. Member

#1 Mudfoot, Mar 17, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2013

2. Robb

Robb Yup

3. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Sr. Member

I remember that thread. I was just not excited about a PC mainframe power supply. They all seem to be noisy. Since this is intended for an RV environment, I thought it might be a little bit better.

That old thread started out good, but petered out before anymore user reports.

Anyways, the price is right and I have a bunch of big toroids and such.

#3 Mudfoot, Mar 17, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  4. RT2020

RT2020 Member

I have the 100 amp version of that supply and it works fine, no hash. Been running it about a year now with a 667V.

5. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Sr. Member

The same make?

6. davegrantsr

davegrantsr Active Member

they're advertising it 'for use with....2 way linear amplifiers...'
    really? would you trust anything they say?
    sorry, just a thought.
    no experience with them, but a few years ago somebody was advertising 75amp samlex switching power supplies for use with 'ham, cb, linears, etc', and guaranteeing no hash. i know of 6 of them, 2 were fine, 4 sucked. including the 1 i bought. after some arguing they replaced it. that 1 was worse. one of the good ones is running an als500 with no issues.

7. RT2020

RT2020 Member

8. W5LZ

W5LZ Crotchety Old Bastard

If I had the choice, I will always buy from an individual (or company) that has a reputation to protect, which I normally call a 'reputable dealer'. It will almost always cost a bit more but it means reliability or replace-ability if it's defective (guarantee). You do not generally have that when purchasing from eBay.
    I do not have one of the power supplies in question, but there is nothing wrong with a switching power supply if it's designed and built correctly. The link 'RT2020' provided shows a power supply that is reasonably priced and from a reputable dealer who has a reputation to protect so I would certainly consider it if/when I have to replace my present power supply.
    All power supplies commercially sold have certain standards that they are rated for. One of those standards is for electrical noise. If it doesn't have that standard on the label then you can't be sure if it's 'quiet' or not. So, if it isn't advertised as having that standard then ask. If you can't be assured it's quiet then I think it would be a reasonable idea to pass it by.
    None of this is a 'revelation', it's fairly common knowledge...
    - 'Doc

Opinion:
    eBay is a good place to 'dump' stuff. There are no guarantees worth their salt on eBay except from 'reputable' dealers. The majority of people selling things on eBay are not 'reputable'. I apologize to those that are, but they are not typical.

1 person likes this.
  9. Lil'Yeshua

Lil'Yeshua .......

I used a train transformer to power a DC auto fan once. I added a 1/2 farad worth of air core caps I found in a trash pile to smooth out the pulses. As long as something can be adapted to work properly to power something. I tend to stay away from switching power supplies(too many bad stories).

10. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Sr. Member

11. CB590

CB590 W9WDX Member

12. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Sr. Member

That one was a turd. My 50 Megawatt supply is great. I had to swap the fan because it sounded like a turbojet.

13. CB590

CB590 W9WDX Member

Copy that. Trying to stay below $175 or so for 60-75 amp ps that people can affirm is good and will run a TS500..

Slowmover likes this.
  14. dave457

dave457 Sr. Member

Shadetree Mechanic likes this.
  15. hotrod

hotrod Well-Known Member

jetstreame makes a nice 75 amppower supply. .ameritron also makesd same one aswell