• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

80M Antenna Ideas (Inverted V)

C2

Aug 3, 2005
Wanting to get on 80 meters, so I was thinking of mounting some kind of antenna. The lot I can work with is 35 x 120 feet. I have a 60 foot pole in the center of the lot.

For the inverted V, how high would the ends need to be and would it be better to make a folded dipole with about 1 foot spacing?

Another idea is there is a 300 foot redwood tree in the neighbor yard. I could shoot a 1-wave sloper (random wire) up into that tree. I think that radiates toward where it points, correct?

Which one or any other ideas?

'C2',
If you could use all of your lot (house doesn't get in the way), you'd have more than enough room for an 80 meter antenna. From one corner to the top of the 60 foot pole to the opposite corner would be something on the order of about 160 feet. About 15 feet (+/-) to 'play' with on each end. If you could raise the end points it would certainly not hurt (keep from 'clothes-linning' yourself?). It might have some directionality to it but not much (if any).
As far as the neighbor's tree, if you could get one end of that dipole up even closed to that height, and run the other end to your 60 foot pole, I think I'd have to try that just to see what happened! A slopping antenna tends to radiate in the directions of it's slant, in general. Now, if your other neighbor happened to have another almost 300 foot tree ... Oh @#$ ! I'd really have to try that! Big ropes to hold the thing up, 300 feet of coax weighs a ton - LOL. And at that height, feed the thing with ladder line and use it on all bands, who cares what the @#$ thing would weigh?!?!
(sorry for getting carried away)
- 'Doc

If you aren't wanting to build one, check out www.k1jek.com for a multi-band dipole for 80-10 Meters. Each leg is 35 feet long and will fit your lot. They work pretty darn well with a tuner.

CWM

If you're not that familiar with antennas, and advertising, that 'K1JEK' thingy sounds pretty good. But if you do some thinking about it, it isn't really that good. Good thing he compares it to a 'G5RV' instead of a 'normal' dipole - lol.
- 'Doc

80 MTR INVERTED VEE

YOU HAVE PLENTY OF ROOM FOR THE ANTENNA THE HIGHER YOU GET THE ENDS THE BETTER IT WILL PLAY-JUST USE THE BASIC 1/2 WAVE ANTENNA FORMULA FOR WHAT SECTION OF THE BAND YOU WANT AND IT SHOULD COVER AT LEAST 100khz OF BANDWIDTH EA.WAY WITH SWR LESS THAN 2:1.BUT THat depends on wire fences or whatever is in the radiation pattern
GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN-73
DE K8PG Paul cw lives

468/freq.in mhz.= length in ft(1/2 v) :usa

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.