• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

857d, 897d, 817nd, 706mk2g or ft100d

I always got good audio reports on my Icom IC-735 as well. I also get good reports on my Yaesu FT-857 BUT I consistantly get GREAT audio reports with my 30 year old Kenwood TS-820S. ;) I still remember what the UK station on 80m said when I answered his CQ the first night I brought the Kenwood home from the flea market. He said " BIG audio.....BIG BIG audio. Good God old man you startled me so bad I missed your call." No lie. Right then I knew my flea market goodie was a winner. :D Of course it is not state of the art but it what it can hear and sound like that really matters,not how many bells and whistles it has. The RX in it is better then the Yaesu or Icom believe it or not. It all bolis down to filters and how good the frontend can handle a big signal.

many new radios have lost this or that over the years..no doubt

i agree simply because something is new and has so many bells and whisles will not by right make it better

i get the type of audio reports you speak of on the IC 7000
the display is cool but not why i like it(not main reason)
i do like its filtering (although it took me awhile to aclimate to how best to use them...since i am not on the radio often)

KingCobra_CDX882 said:
many new radios have lost this or that over the years..no doubt

i agree simply because something is new and has so many bells and whisles will not by right make it better

i get the type of audio reports you speak of on the IC 7000
the display is cool but not why i like it(not main reason)
i do like its filtering (although it took me awhile to aclimate to how best to use them...since i am not on the radio often)
:roll: :roll: (I agree also)

Most of your newer ham rigs are average at best on AM.
Don't buy a multi band rig for its AM capabilities.Choose one that
that will satisfy your needs on HF,UHF,VHF,6 meters.
If 11 meters is a big concern keep a good sounding 11 meter radio
to use for that purpose.

I recently sold my FT-102 (which would smoke those Icoms on AM)
and bought a Ft-847 for multi band use and kept a HR-2510 for
11 meters.

Of course to each their own.

Looking forward to it. I plan on taking long canoe trips with the miracle whip and have my own little dxpedition 8)

I loved my 817, I talked to England once. I found it just wasn't enough power for everyday use. Great for backpacking, camping etc.... You will enjoy it. By the way is it the 817nd or just the 817? Good luck with it. Also, there are many groups at Yahoo for the 817, check them out. There is alot of helpful information on there.

I was listening to a guy yesterday using a 7000 with a Heil PR20 and three band EQ. I must say his audio was much better with the 7000 than his 756 PROIII. I was quite amazed at the audio from such a small radio.

Right now I am running the FT 897D, and It has become my Main Radio. I have a LDG AT-200 Pro strapped to the top of it, and it goes anywere. I throw it in the truck, pull it out and use it in the house, drag it to the camp site, or set it up in a Motel room. Yes a 857 would be smaller, but I oppted for the radio with more chassis to remove heat better.
It is built like a rock, great TX/RX and a noise blanker that really works.
To date it is the best radio I have owned.
My 2 cents....

Jeff

Hey Jeff...wanna trade my 857D for your 897D? :D. I want a radio I can take anywhere without having to lug around a car battery or power supply!

I also have a 897D that I love. I have a MP-1 and Buddistick for HF and a Arrow 146/440 beam for UHF/VHF. I cannot say enough about the portability of this radio. I am getting deployed to Iraq very soon and applied and received my Iraqi Amateur Radio License and taking my 897 with me. I would recommend this radio very highly. Listen out for YI9MSJ with in the next 400 days. Even though I am a Tech here, I have full HF privileges there so, I will really be enjoying the radio. I will also bring my laptop and rigblaster plug and play for digital work. Hope to talk to some of you.

KI4MSJ,
I will be listening for you thogh I cant talk to you on HF unless it is on 10 meter. I doubt that we will have that good of conditions for 10 meter contact from Iraq.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.