• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

959 NPRC(swing mod)

15minigrass

Oct 30, 2006
Any swing mods for this radio?????

Wish every radio was like the 2950 swing mod. Just a simple placement of a resistor thats it.

Mahalo, Jim....

NPC mod...

Since the audio-to-power section is almost identical to the 2950, the mod is the same. Here is what I did to my 959: first I gave the radio a good tune-up with the modulation set at about 100% and set the low power setting to 1.5W...Then I made the traditional 1N4001 and 100 ohm resistor combination. I then soldered that in at the two points where capacitor C-233 is soldered, on the bottom side of the board for ease. That's it! on the low power setting you should key 1.5W and swing to full power...leaving the AMC limiter in place, insures you will not overmodulate...Enjoy!......(don't forget to mind the diode's polarity. The banded-cathode-end should be the end you solder closest to the rear of the radio.)

Last edited:
Just curious, since I've never done a swing mod before...

Does the resistor go on the cathode side of the diode, or the anode side? I'm sure where you put the resistor makes a difference, just wondering which way the the resistor goes, I may try that on a 959 I got sitting here. Thanks!

-Exit

Before doing any mods I'd lower the deadkey to the wanted level and then adjust the modulation and the ALC and see what you're seeing for output.

If you don't plan to run an amplifier don't lower the deadkey or try to do swing modifications.

959's have great swing and audio - adding a good microphone can do wonders.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned