• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

97 Toyota 4runner install

meanbaby

Nov 14, 2013
install cobra 29lx and RM 203p tuned and modded by 577-Jersey, did a peak tune,rx sensitivity,and a swing kit and check the RM out making sure its working fine also i was too lazy to order a astatic mic and begged him to sale me one of his :)

once i install everything and made my call out in my local area, all the guys tells me my audio/carrier/mod is 1000 times better then the day before!!! and once i open up the amp, the few guys that usually dint hear me is now hearing me loud and clear! thanks for the work 577!

anyway, didnt want to dash or side mount the cobra and thought long and hard to where to place the big unit.

had to cut a lot offthe center bazel back so the cobra can be push back far enough to clear the shifter, then remove the ashtray and mount and dremel the back of that off to push that in, after a few hour work, everything is nice and factory sorta kindof looking :)

thanks for looking and the crazy chinaman from nyc is on the side

Attachments

• 20131202_135019.jpg
    20131202_135019.jpg
    880.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 20131202_135108.jpg
    20131202_135108.jpg
    820.7 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: 3 people

Yours looks good as well.

ebuqy6e7.jpg

Looks great! I have a 99 4Runner, this gives me some new ideas. I have mine on the passenger side of the shifter. Wish mine was an automatic like yours. What is your antenna setup? Pics?

thanks

here a few pic of antenna and mount

Attachments

• 20131202_135314.jpg
    20131202_135314.jpg
    947.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 20131202_135255.jpg
    20131202_135255.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 69
nmostly no problem, if you look close, one screw broke off, theres a hole where it use to be, but other 4 holding very well

That antenna is installed in just about the worst place possible with the exception of a tow hitch mount which is a shame given the trouble you've gone to get the CB optimised. Quite surprised you manage to get a SWR below 2:1 on it given the close proximity of vertical metal next to it. The radiating portion of an antenna should be clear of the bodywork, i.e above it.

You would do better getting something like a Sirio 3000/4000/5000, drilling a hole in the middle of roof and hard mounting it. The difference in performance between one mounted low down like that and one mounted on the roof could be as much as 6dB (four-fold) due to reduced ground losses and the benefits are reciprocal so you benefit both on TX and RX. You would then find you had no trouble doing 30+ miles on just 4 or 5 watts and would find it is less directional than your current install. In addition you would also find that you had no issues with common mode so less noise on RX.

Food for thought....

On my 4Runner the roof is very thin. I am sure this is the same with other years. I am going to do the same mount as shown here. I plan on putting the mount above the rear tail light, about 3 inches above. Most all the antenna would be above the roof line then.

I think in the New York area there are many height restrictions...

Thats a nice sturdy bracket. I bet it doesn't budge an inch.

@Nick23...do you have an issue with height limits if you use a whip antenna? I'm thinking ones like the Sirio 3000-5000 or K40 where the whip can hit something overhead but bend and go under it without any damage.

It's a Tacoma with a fiberglass camper, but the same idea as you. Works fine with the whip and good with a 5' Firestik just long enough to clear the camper-top.

evamuvyg.jpg

Glad to see that idea worked out for you. I plan to do the same thing with my Tundra. Maybe one on each side,HF on the driver's side and VHF/UHF on the passenger's side. I have some nice stainless I plan to shape into a mount but my only concern was the clearance between the tailgate and the bracket. My 2012 Tundra has a fairly tight fit there and I really don't want it to rub. I can't do a roof mount due to the power moon roof and low clearance at some places I go and the tonneau cover rules out stake hole mounts.

that antenna is flexible enough not to need a spring .
i would definitly get a tennis ball for it when offroading .
thats just me , nice set up though.

Glad to see that idea worked out for you. I plan to do the same thing with my Tundra. Maybe one on each side,HF on the driver's side and VHF/UHF on the passenger's side. I have some nice stainless I plan to shape into a mount but my only concern was the clearance between the tailgate and the bracket. My 2012 Tundra has a fairly tight fit there and I really don't want it to rub. I can't do a roof mount due to the power moon roof and low clearance at some places I go and the tonneau cover rules out stake hole mounts.

I fabbed my bracket out of stainless as well. I swiped it from my drillship that was built in Korea, so it was metric. But I think it was 6mm plate and barely clears the tailgate. I run a SS whip on it and it haven't had any issues of bending or warping no matter what I run through or under.

Is your tonneau fiberglass, roll up, or the fabric?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.