• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

99v ssb meter pegs when keyed

Weather Man

Sep 3, 2011
Only on ssb. AM is fine. When keying the mic meter needle pegs to the right. i purchased this radio new in 94. All MODs were done by a radio tech (a real one. Not cousin Bert) Well almost all MODs . I did the clairifier mod and also replaced D23 and D24 to fix a low RX volume/sensitivity issue. The problem seems to be "come and go" With or without amp, dosy meter in or out of loop and the antenna is fine.
Any help or even "shot in the dark" type ideas are welcome.
Thanks in advance for your time and effort Weather Man

Welcome to the forum.

You are asking for a lot of things to be answered with very little to no diagnostic observations mentioned. Are you close to a non-Uncle Bert that can take a strong look at your radio? If not; then I recommend DTB Radio. As he can fix about anything and make it jump thru hoops once again.

Time vs money spent - perhaps that may be the best plan for you - considering the situation . . .

haha! yep i got frustrated with mine the other night when skip was rolling and it started on me and it worked. Leads me to think that it maybe a cold solder joint.

haha! yep i got frustrated with mine the other night when skip was rolling and it started on me and it worked. Leads me to think that it maybe a cold solder joint.

Yep....somethings come loose...bad thing is our radio tech closed his shop and got a job fixing electronics at the hospital.....I got 2 radios down...and this s-9 needs to see the doctor.

Figured it out !

had a resistor on the main board that was shorting out on the mic circuit board.
Bent it over just a touch to allow clearance . gave it some time before posting back since my luck suggests that the problem would have returned as soon as i posted about it. hope this helps someone someday. Thanks to everyone that commented

My DX-99 did the same thing you are talking about, turns out problem was my antenna was crap. You should key about 8-12 watts on AM, if its more than that, like 15-20 watts its a false reading caused by power reflected back to the radio from bad coax or antenna.

As i suspected. The same day i posted that it was fixed the problem reared it's ugly head again. It is set to 2watts swinging 20 watts on this old dosey meter and i hooked it up to my homemade dipole and the needle dropped a little and i held the key as the needle slowly dropped and then it bottomed out in about 10 to 15 sec. and might appear to work properly for a few minutes and then back to the pegging needle :censored: :headbang

works well when warm

But when it hits about 55 degrees F. it is time to either get back on am or turn it off. On my Dosy it shows 30+ when i key up on the 30 watt scale but if i turn on the heater and make it nice and warm it seems to work fine. So i am back to either cold solder or a failed component that is thermally sensitive (for now) and will likely fail completely at some time in the future if not found now

I also have a Dx99, just wondering what your seeing on out put AM-SSB ?

Most Galaxy 99 radio's will do 25-30 watts PEP with a basic tune. Get more involved and maybe 35 ish watts at best. In it's day the 99 was the top dog. There are many radio's now that far exceed the Galaxy 99, a Magnum S9 being just one example.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.