• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

A few 10 meter repeater questions

KC9PYV

C.B. Rambo
Jun 10, 2009
I'm new to ham radio. I went out, and did the tech, and general in one shot. I don't own a 2 meter, or 440 rig, so I don't know much about TXing on a repeater. I would be trying to use my RCI 2970 non DX model, as this is all that I can afford at this time as I'm saving up for a 706. Here we go.....

1.) Do most 10m machines use CTSS?

2.) Is CTSS the same thing as a PL tone?

3.) Is the offset always 100 khz?

4.) How do you know if you are making the repeater? Is there a tone or something you hear on key up?

I see they make a CTSS kit for the 2970, but I do not really want to put anymore money into the radio. Basically just want to see if I can get into the repeaters I'm hearing when the band is open. On another note, am I going to constantly hear crap from people about running the 2970? I haven't made my first contact as a new ham yet. I think I'm going to fire it up in a few and try some SSB first. Any help is appreciated:)

Hi guy, Congrats on the new ticket.

I don't think any 10M repeaters use tones.

Yes, 100khz offset

Know you're hitting it? Listen around. 10M must be open and open well for you to generally have a chance. Most of the repeaters have courtesy tones. If no one is using it and you key up the input and the repeater keys up....then it was probably you bringing it up.

Have fun

1 - yes
2 - yes
3 - yes, and usually negative
4 - there is usually a delay, so you when you unkey, the repeater stays keyed for a second or so longer, which you should be able to hear.

the reason for using tones, especially for an HF repeater, is so noise does not key the repeater, and you don't want it keying during a heavy skip storm.

First, thanks for the responses. I'm good on the questions except on #1. Should I just forget about it with this radio with no CTSS? Maybe I need to research the repeaters to see the ones that require tones?

the reason for using tones, especially for an HF repeater, is so noise does not key the repeater, and you don't want it keying during a heavy skip storm.

Is that why I hear a couple machines that are keying, and un-keying? They have no tones?

It might be.

You should find the local repeater coordinators in your area. I bet they have a website that lists all the repeaters, their frequencies, tones, etc...

And don't worry about using the 2970...even if someone does give you crap about it (I would be surprised if anyone did). Run what you got. Have fun with it on ssb, too :)

If you've been using the 2970 for CB, you may want to back off the mic level though so it doesn't sound like one or people will give you grief.

If you find a local ham with bench equipment you may want to have it properly aligned so that the carrier level is put back to where it belongs..roughly a 25W carrier with no modulation on AM and have the opposite sideband / carrier point checked.

If it was never modified, it should be fine as-is though.

Otherwise they work reasonably well for 10m.

repeater

Congratulations.

Usually no tones is necessary, just down 100

29.600 simplex

popular frequencies.

Listen on 28.200 to 28.300 for beacons, you can tell where the band is open from, or listen to cb on chnl 38 ssb and what states you hear there , it will be on 10 meters.

The band has been open for weeks now, around 28.460 there has been some Portugal stations on ssb.

SEE you on 10 fm

DOCTOR/CDX795

Congratulations.

Usually no tones is necessary, just down 100

29.600 simplex

popular frequencies.

Listen on 28.200 to 28.300 for beacons, you can tell where the band is open from, or listen to cb on chnl 38 ssb and what states you hear there , it will be on 10 meters.

The band has been open for weeks now, around 28.460 there has been some Portugal stations on ssb.

SEE you on 10 fm

DOCTOR/CDX795

So, if I wanted to try to get into a repeater I'm hearing on 29.640 I will set the split so I'm TXing on 29.540? Is that right? Thanks for helping out a newb.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.