• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

A few 10 meter repeater questions

Welcome to the world of Ham..

2970 will do fine...
in time you may want to explore other bands
only then worry about looking for a new radio..

do indeed back off of the gain.
that way you will likely be welcomed quicker...lol

the 2970 does pretty good on ssb indeed

A common CTCSS tone used on 10-meter repeaters is 156.7, i have a 10 meter box and some times run it in carrier if there is no grunge on the input.

DX has been wide open on 10 meters this last week.

No one will know you're running the 2970 and unless it's totally overmodulated or something no one will say anything.

It's funny that you hear Hams complaining about how crappy CBer's sound but you would not believe how awful some of the Ham operators on 10 meters sound.

DX has been wide open on 10 meters this last week.

No one will know you're running the 2970 and unless it's totally overmodulated or something no one will say anything.

It's funny that you hear Hams complaining about how crappy CBer's sound but you would not believe how awful some of the Ham operators on 10 meters sound.

That is because most of the hams you hear sounding awful on 10 meters are mostly ex-cber's or new ops. Most newbies don't realize that the ALC meter is your friend. Keep it turned down to the acceptable ALC zone and your audio will usually sound fine unless you are getting RF or some other issue on your signal. I never run my mic gain control higher than the 10 o'clock position on any of my rigs.

Here is a tip for anyone new, when you key your microphone on SSB and you are not saying anything, you SHOULD NOT see any watts going out over the air. I see this so often on 10 meters with new techs. You can hear the fans running, the guy breathing, the wife/kids/dog/etc in the background.

If you see watts going out over the air when you are not speaking, turn down the mic gain until you see nothing going out, and 90% of the time you don't need to run the processor.

Another tip, if you are using a desk mic, go to radio shack and pick up a foam pop filter to put over you mic. It is a cheap investment that will help keep your audio clean.

Thanks for all the responses. I'm running a stock mic, so It should not be too much a problem. I hear CB's that sound like hell. I have also heard a handful of ham radios sound bad, although not as many. While we are on the subject of 10 meters- what is this 10-10 number business? Is this just a 10 meter thing, or HF all together?

Thanks for all the responses. I'm running a stock mic, so It should not be too much a problem. I hear CB's that sound like hell. I have also heard a handful of ham radios sound bad, although not as many. While we are on the subject of 10 meters- what is this 10-10 number business? Is this just a 10 meter thing, or HF all together?

10-10 numbers are issued by ten-ten international 10-10 web site You can collect numbers for points/contests/etc. to get awards. Mostly, it exists to help promote activity on 10 meters, therefore it is an exclusive awards program for 10 meters only.

You can earn a 10-10 number by contacting 10 other stations who have 10-10 numbers. The application form is on ten-ten's web site.

73, hope to hear you on the band.

10-10 numbers are issued by ten-ten international 10-10 web site You can collect numbers for points/contests/etc. to get awards. Mostly, it exists to help promote activity on 10 meters, therefore it is an exclusive awards program for 10 meters only.

You can earn a 10-10 number by contacting 10 other stations who have 10-10 numbers. The application form is on ten-ten's web site.

73, hope to hear you on the band.

Thanks for the info. (y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.