• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

A few comments, amateur radio vs CB

i think its kind of weird that hams are refered to as "amatuers" when they go through necessary training/schooling . but i guess since to be a "pro" at something usually implies making a living at it that it applies if you dont work in the rf arena .

you hammies have a big advantage with all the studying/schooling y'all go through to progress through your different ticket levels . most newbie cbers (and all of us were newbies at some point) get by with what joe blow tells them or a dealer looking to sell them all they can and move quickly on to the next victim ummmmm customer .

being just a cb'er/parrot ill say i definately appreciate the info so many hams and cb'ers have shared in the forums . some more so than others though . sometimes i do feel like the info comes on the back of a fast moving hand . like cb'ers in general as people are inferior and are to be spoken down to and that were too blind to see the snooty remarks suggesting so . others are both gracious and generious in providing information . some like to make you work for the info , but that can make for a lesson learned instead of forgeting something you were told (hi jack) .

i guess i dont have a point to make...........just wanted to add a few comments

p.s. for 26tm696 UK ham study guide - Google Search

i think its kind of weird that hams are refered to as "amatuers" when they go through necessary training/schooling . but i guess since to be a "pro" at something usually implies making a living at it that it applies if you dont work in the rf arena .

What I said about the origin of hams being known as amateurs is true. The early commercial wireless operators used to curse "those damn amateur radio operators" because of the QRM they would cause back when radio signals were as wide as three or four barn doors.The wireless ops were the "pros" and the little experimenters were just amateurs to them.

It's funny that now, with the internet and all the information at our access, a ticket is simple to get.

I tried to do it when I was a kid, and it was a bitch. Hard to find the material and harder to find an Elmer. I wound up giving up.

Not trying to be a QRZ type lamenter, just an observation.

74IN,
Oh, theres no question at all about the testing used to be harder, it was. At one time there were no study guides, no standard test questions, no samples, and no real guide lines at all to what you might be asked on any of those tests. Some one wanting a license was handed a 'HandBook' and told that all the information needed was in there. And it is! If you weren't intimidated by that, you probably already know at least some of what was in that 'HandBook', maybe. Then the ARRL came out with some license manuals. They had questions that -might- be on the test, or ones sort of like them. They were no guaranty at all, just a sort of guide as to what you ought to know. Then 'whats his name' in California started doing some test preparation guide courses. Was accused of 'cheating'. And then somewhere along in there the idea of at least furnishing some guide lines as to what you ought to know came about. Still wasn't easy, but at least it was better than before. And that brings things sort of up to date, kind of. You now have access to every test question on every test and the answers handed to you. You still have to be able to do some very basic math, memorize a few formulas, and band/frequency allotments, but that's really about it. More a matter of knowing how to operate something (safely) instead of knowing why the thing operates at all, sort of. Is that 'bad'? Not really. But it's definitely easier than having to know what you had to know at one time.
All that doesn't say anything about how easy the tests are to take now than they used to be. The VEC system works. You don't have to visit one'a them little green offices with the guy in white shirt, bowtie and suspenders watching you every second. No second chances. No explanations of where you may have goofed. Either a yes or no, good bye, and at least a month till the next chance. THAT was real fun!
So... I'd have to say that things are a bit easier now.
- 'Doc

(How about a license that was only good for 12 months, and it took 3 months to find out if you passed the @#$ thing? No, that's not a joke.)

tried...

....I tried reading thru this post....but.............it seems one thing gets taken out of context and it starts a war. Hmmmm.......

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.