• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

A few comments, amateur radio vs CB

I don't want to brag but.................... OK I do. (y) Here are the loss/power handling specs for the Andrew LDF4-50 that I run on the tribander for 10,15,and 20m as well as on the six element 6m yagi and the eleven element 2m beam.

Attenuation and Average Power Ratings
Frequency Attenuation Attenuation Average
MHz dB/100 ft dB/100 m Power, kW
0.5 0.045 0.149 40.0
1 0.064 0.211 35.8
1.5 0.079 0.259 29.2
2 0.091 0.299 25.3
10 0.205 0.672 11.3
20 0.291 0.954 7.93
30 0.357 1.17 6.46
50 0.463 1.52 4.98
88 0.619 2.03 3.73
100 0.661 2.17 3.49
108 0.688 2.26 3.36
150 0.815 2.67 2.83
174 0.880 2.89 2.62
200 0.946 3.10 2.44
300 1.17 3.83 1.97
400 1.36 4.46 1.70
450 1.45 4.75 1.59
500 1.53 5.02 1.51
512 1.55 5.08 1.49
600 1.69 5.53 1.37
700 1.83 6.01 1.26
800 1.97 6.46 1.17
824 2.00 6.56 1.15
894 2.09 6.85 1.10
960 2.17 7.12 1.06
1000 2.22 7.28 1.04
1250 2.51 8.23 0.921
1500 2.77 9.09 0.833
1700 2.97 9.74 0.777
1800 3.07 10.1 0.753
2000 3.25 10.7 0.710
2100 3.34 11.0 0.691
2200 3.43 11.2 0.673
2300 3.52 11.5 0.657
3000 4.09 13.4 0.565
3400 4.39 14.4 0.526
4000 4.82 15.8 0.479
5000 5.49 18.0 0.421
6000 6.11 20.1 0.378
8000 7.26 23.8 0.318
8800 7.69 25.2 0.300

CRAP! The formatting is all screwy even after I manually edited the whole thing. There are four colums and if you look carefully you can see the specs.

Last edited:
;)

Looks good.
But i choose the Ecoflex because it is flexible and can be fed around the rotor and bearings.

The cost was € 3.25 a meter, now it's up to € 5.5 a meter.
A N connector is 10 euro's.

At least have 50 meters left for spare, so lets see what we can do with it.

The old coax wich was in good shape now is used for holliday,, Jota etc.

Call is PA5COR located in the google thingy on top of the page, JO23TA SNEEK the Netherlands
http://www.worldwidedx.com/vbgooglemapme.php?do=addelement

Take care

Cor

I forgot to mention that I use the Belden 8214 on each end of the Heliax to get up from the basement to the den and to get around the rotator. That Heliax does not like to bend.

Thank you CWM.
"Leave the f***ing coax alone and tune the g** damned antenna." I believe were the exact words.

i was on the cb back in the 1980's.
i came back on air a few weeks back after reading a few posts on other forums
i was surprised at how they do things different now. for instance they chop the coax to swr.
ive lost count of the number of hours ive been stood on the roof tuning the antenna to get a good swr.
dont they realise that the antenna has an adjuster for this purpose or are they just scarted of getting the ladders out.

anyway changing the subject now
after coming back on air ive decided i really want to get into radio ham etc. ive emailed a club near me asking what i need to do to get the license but no ones bothered to reply
can anyone tell me what i need to do

after coming back on air ive decided i really want to get into radio ham etc. ive emailed a club near me asking what i need to do to get the license but no ones bothered to reply
can anyone tell me what i need to do

26tm696,

Post this question up in our Ham General section...you'll get tons of replies. The question might get lost buried in this thread.

Pick up a study guide, read it, understand it, then go to qrz and take the online practice tests. If your scores are acceptable to pass the exam then go to the ARRL web site to see where and when the next exam will be in your area. The guides written by Gordon West (WB6NOA) are (imo) better then the ones offered by ARRL. They go into deeper detail and explain things in layman terms which makes it easier to understand and comprehend. (y)

26tm696,
The 'quick-n-dirty' answer to that question is learn the required material and then go take the tests. A slightly more common answer is to familiarize yourself with the questions asked on the test (several places to take 'practice' tests on the net), and when you can get about 80% of them right, go take the test.
Where do you take the test? Your local club ought to have that sort of ability, or at least know where to go. If you can't get an answer from them, try contacting the ARRL, or W5YI (Dallas?) about where to find a testing secession. If all else fails and you don't mind a sort of long drive (no idea where you are), we do testing the second Thursday of every month, or by scheduling. (A little advanced notification is nice. 'Pittsburg Amateur Radio Club' 'PARC', 'W5CUQ.com' in McAlester, Oklahoma.) It isn't as difficult as it used to be, or than it seems like it is anyway. There's a testing fee, can't remember what it is now (we get postage out of that, but that's all). We will certainly help with the required paper work, but the test is up to you, it ain't a 'give-me' thing.
There are 'study manuals' from various places, not a bad idea. Just don't give up on the whole thing! Good luck and have fun...
- 'Doc

oh yes jazzsinger, please enlighten all of us on exactly why we should not use RG8x. LMAO! as if there is something inherently wrong with it.

how much does anyone want to bet that this guy heard something somewhere on the CB band, believed it, and is perpetuating it here? LOL

the only thing worse than a pompous ham op is a cb'er who believes what they hear without checking it for themselves, and then repeats it as if its a proven fact.

cant wait to hear the explanation. LOL
LC

how much does anyone want to bet that this guy heard something somewhere on the CB band, believed it, and is perpetuating it here? LOL

the only thing worse than a pompous ham op is a cb'er who believes what they hear without checking it for themselves, and then repeats it as if its a proven fact.

sounds like self analysis to me,ever heard of psychological projection,look it up fool.

if i told you why its shit you probably wouldn't understand,lol.i'll give you a clue chemical migration has something to do with it.

everybody loves a smart arse!!

below a quote i took from one of your other posts mr know it all:

"the part about using capacitors to isolate the equipment intrigued me, because caps will pass the RF component, but not the DC component.

so, where should we isolate what from what?"

if you had half a clue what you were talking about you'd be smart enough to realise the capacitor is wired from the hot side to ground to shunt rf to ground and break up the rf ground loop,not in series to block dc,numbnut.

who's laughing now dipshit?????:headbang:headbang

jazzsinger is probably one of those that couldn't pass the amateur exam and is bitter over it hence his attitude towards hams. I guess he does not realize that if you are not a professional,ie paid to do something, then you are an amateur. The only differance between the two is payday. In the early days of radio commercial radio operators looked down on hams and called them amateurs because they were the snooty ones that made a living off of radio.

jazzsinger,just what do you use for transmission line and please enlighten us on the pitfalls of RG8X when used in short runs and low power applications. I tried using LDF4-50 for jumpers to my meters and switch boxes but it started to get real expensive real fast for the connectors and it was taking up far too much room in order to get it all to fit behind the console. :LOL:

passing a simple ham exam is hardly qualification for a phd in radio theory but as a gateway to talk to boring,snooty head up their own arse retards its second to nothing.my attitude towards know it all ham assholes has nowt to do with bitterness or inability to pass a test that many 10 year olds have passed and more to do with snooty asshole hams coming on cb forums and baffling everyone with bullshit groomed from other equally dumb hams.

only thing in this world more dangerous than a ham who thinks he knows it all is usaf friendly fire!!!!

Last edited:
Pick up a study guide, read it, understand it, then go to qrz and take the online practice tests. If your scores are acceptable to pass the exam then go to the ARRL web site to see where and when the next exam will be in your area. The guides written by Gordon West (WB6NOA) are (imo) better then the ones offered by ARRL. They go into deeper detail and explain things in layman terms which makes it easier to understand and comprehend. (y)

got my study guide from the link
but still got 1 question
i live in grimsby in uk
is the study guide the same for uk as it is for usa or any other place

26tm696,
Oops! No, it is not the same in the UK. Disregard all about QRZ, practice tests, etc. I have no idea how you UK guys have things set up so you should be looking for a ham where you are to guide you. Sorry 'bout that, thought you were in the USA.
- 'Doc

passing a simple ham exam is hardly qualification for a phd in radio theory but as a gateway to talk to boring,snooty head up their own arse retards its second to nothing.my attitude towards know it all ham assholes has nowt to do with bitterness or inability to pass a test that many 10 year olds have passed and more to do with snooty asshole hams coming on cb forums and baffling everyone with bullshit groomed from other equally dumb hams.

only thing in this world more dangerous than a ham who thinks he knows it all is usaf friendly fire!!!!

First off, this is NOT a CB forum in case you cannot read. It is for ALL forms of radio communications CB,ham,shortwave listening , and even scanner listening.You have done nothing but bitch and complain about hams since you came here and exhibit a snooty. know-it-all, holier than thou attitude yourself which you claim to dislike in other people.You also fail to answer questions when asked to justify your statements.As for your last statement "only thing in this world more dangerous than a ham who thinks he knows it all is usaf friendly fire!!!!" well just let me add that on a radio forum the only thing more dangerous than a ham who thinks he knows it all is a ham that knows a hell of a lot more than you think you do and carries the title "ADMINISTRATOR". SEE YA!

banclickinglinkgt4ed7.gif

i live in grimsby in uk
is the study guide the same for uk as it is for usa or any other place

Like I said, ask the question in the Ham section (above). There are several hams here from England...I'm sure they'll answer your questions if they see it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.