• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

A Magnum Question

ctvanover

N/A
May 22, 2005
Archdale, NC 27263
I know that the Magnum S-9's are on there way out the door. I have come across some of these still for sale. My question is, Is there really that much of a difference between the regular 50 watt S-9 and the 80 watt S-980? What I'm trying to say is, Is it worth paying the extra $70 for 30 more watts?

Buck

The main thing is if you were running a small amp and radio and then wanted to run just a radio the 80 watter is a nice option.

Never seen an S9 really do 50 watts, maybe 30 35 on SSB but the 980 will do at least 75 watts and if you want it all in one radio that is the ticket

Save your money...and buy a Galaxy...Or Connex, Cobra, Midland, General, Ranger...anything other than Magnum

pisd.jpg

Save your money...and buy a Galaxy...Or Connex, Cobra, Midland, General, Ranger...anything other than Magnum

pisd.jpg

I would take a Magnum radio over ANY Galaxy or Connex radio any time. If you like your new Galaxy radio's you have Magnum to thank. Galaxy was making nothing new until Magnum came out with the Alpha, Delta, and Maverick radio's. The best echo and all mode variable talkback in the business. Galaxy and Connex had to get off their lazy rear ends and make some better radio's to compete. Even today a Delta Force radio is hands down better then any Galaxy 88/99 you can find.

Reactions: 1 person
got that right 9C1 Driver, on AM a Galaxy if fine but for SSB forget about it. Magnum has them all beat hands down for a sideband radio. I have to say this new Yeticom Optima is a very good sideband radio also, AM I have no idea I don't talk on AM

I have a Magnum S980 nx. the knobs are the lighted ones. only 980 they had in stock. I have a pretty hot tune, so no long winded ragchew, or it gets hot. have had it for over a year with no problems, it will make a 4 pill 2879 amp do almost a grand. on a bird43, no happy meter needed!!! get real good audio reports, talk skip on a regular basis. it tends to drift a little before warm up. after warm it is very stable...
I have done the research, that is the radio I decided on. after a year of every day use in a big truck, the only issue has been a segment in the frequency counter...

if I were going to buy another it would be a Magnum.

Twister I'm with you, same deal with me, S-9 after about 5 minutes just stays there all day, that's why they have the switch to turn the freq counter off, don't really need it at least for me on SSB

there isnt any difrence between

30 and 50 wts,need to double pwr to get any db gain...plain and simple...s9 is fine,a little freq drift on ssb i have noticed....they are ok...but cant beat a good used hf...for that much you can get a good used hf radio...have better freq stabilty,and better filtering...betterr bleed over protection...73 de JW

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.