• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

A match box

what are SWR's?
Standing Wave Ratio. It is a measurement of how much of your signal is going out of your antenna to how much is bounced back to the radio. A theoretical perfect match is 1 to 1, but in reality you are okay as long as you are under 2:1.

The lower that reading is, the more power is being transmitted out of the antenna and not lost. Also, if that ratio gets too high, it can burn out the amplifier of your transmitter, which will make it so you can't talk to anyone.

An antenna tuner can make it so that you don't have too much reflected power coming back to the radio, but it basically just absorbs it instead of making it go out the antenna. It also introduces some loss into the system, so even if your antenna is perfectly tuned, it will not broadcast as much power through the antenna as you could without it.

I have 2 of them sitting here a old Goldline antenna matcher and a new Paradynamics-PDC5 The goldline could tune a wet string to a 1.1:1 but the new paradynamics does work just the knobs are a little to small for my gorilla hands. The PDC5 does have a swr meter and power meter built in along with the matcher. I got mine for $22 from abetterwaytobuy on e bay. or just google it all as one word. He has some cheap prices and free shipping. He is close to my 20 so I don't ship I just pick up in person. He is not a radio shop!
I just got the Gold Line antenna matcher. What were your experiences using it?

A match-box ( back in the day ) was used to help set SWR on a dual antenna set up. I used one on a pick-up truck with a pair of 108'' fiberglass whips, worked great.

A match-box ( back in the day ) was used to help set SWR on a dual antenna set up. I used one on a pick-up truck with a pair of 108'' fiberglass whips, worked great.
Welcome to the forum.
This is a old thread, but.....
With the proper co phase harness you should be able to get the swr down to a acceptable level with dual antennas.
Ideally a transmatch or antenna tuner is used when you try to cover more bands or frequency spread than a antenna can cover alone.

Jeff

Reactions: unit_399

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.