• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base A moxon mounting question

TruckerKevin

KD9NTD
Nov 9, 2017
Buckner, Illinois
www.qrz.com
This is eventually going to be a moxon for 11 meter. Once the rain quits. I am making it out of a repurposed Maco V58 that met its tragic end in a recent storm. I currently have no 11 meter antenna at all due to this said storm, which begs the question

would it be feasible to mount this moxon at a 45 degree angle so I could try and harvest both vertical and horizontal signals? I like to talk skip when it rolls, but we also have a local net here on 11 meter that I like to keep in touch with. Plus I live close to the interstate and I like to communicate with the trucking industry (since that is what I do)

I got this idea because I could not make up my mind wether to put it vertically or horizontally, and I see that Maco makes a beam that can be put in an L configuration to catch both signals, I just don’t know what the repercussions may be if I went this route

thanks
Kevin

Attachments

• 415718E2-409A-4386-BC6D-5BB5DEDA4ABA.jpeg
    415718E2-409A-4386-BC6D-5BB5DEDA4ABA.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 33

first post,
I also have a question concerning moxon beams, small size and functionality are benefits, but like Tucker, I would like vertical and horzontal polarization,would it work with this type of beam, to mount 2 antenna's in a cross and run 2 coax to have both, or to co-phase and run both at once

would it be feasible to mount this moxon at a 45 degree angle

What about when you rotate the Moxon? At some point you'll be aiming at Mars. Or warming the local earthworms.
I reckon you could rotate the entire mast and keep your 45 deg angle but doesn't seem worth the effort.

You could:
Mount your Moxon horizontal for DX use.
Homebrew a Quarterwave ground plane for your local net use.

73 Driver

Last edited:
I've seen pictures of two moxons mounted in a + configuration. Two coax feedlines, one to each beam.
I once mounted a dipole on a pivoting outrigger. It mounted like a T at the top of the mast and hung out on each side a few feet. A rope was tied to the other end of the out. Pull the rope for pivoting to horizontal. Pull another rope neat the dipole and it was back down to vertical. It was just for fun and made not much difference for dx. Locally, vertical was better. Stayed up maybe a week. Took it down. Was too goofy even for me.

I've seen pictures of two moxons mounted in a + configuration. Two coax feedlines, one to each beam.
I once mounted a dipole on a pivoting outrigger. It mounted like a T at the top of the mast and hung out on each side a few feet. A rope was tied to the other end of the out. Pull the rope for pivoting to horizontal. Pull another rope neat the dipole and it was back down to vertical. It was just for fun and made not much difference for dx. Locally, vertical was better. Stayed up maybe a week. Took it down. Was too goofy even for me.

Homer,
You are the King of Antennas here on WWDX. (y) No one comes close. :D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated