• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

A Project Under Consideration

I don't mind long posts, at all. I'm going to have crack open that radio, when I get home (which will be in about another month), so I can see what's in it. I seem to recall reading somewhere else that it was based on a Uniden. I'll have to see if I can find that info, again.

The radio that I am currently using IS a Uniden (Bearcat 980SSB). I'm 99% certain that it has not been touched by a "Golden Screwdriver". It came from a Flying J truck stop, and they don't have CB shops. (Unless you count the guy who rides around in a van or camper, with jewelers screwdrivers and Dosy meters). I can't say the same for my amp. I bought that from a CB shop; and I let that shop mess with another radio I have (Cobra 25LX), before I knew better.

The Realistic may have been aligned, at some point, by my cousin. (He gave it to me, a few years ago) I doubt it, though. Even if he did, he most certainly would not have tried to get more than 4 watts out of it, and he wouldn't have spread any coils, or anything of that nature.

I, too, am interested in clean signals. I only need to broadcast on one frequency at a time, lol. I hear plenty of bleedover, from others. It is obnoxious, and I have no interest in being that guy.

It's worth noting that not all of my radio use happens while actively driving. Sometimes I participate in the evening jawjacking in the truck stops. I don't want my radio to interfere with the TV in the truck next to me. With modern electronics being what they are, there is no telling what device a radio could screw with, anymore. I used to live in an area that had strange signals floating around all the time. I had one car that I was constantly finding my aftermarket stereo powered on in, another car with a remote start that I had to disable because it would randomly start in the middle of the night. Plus, multiple vehicles that would randomly start scanning the FM stations for no apparent reason. Several aquaintences also reported similar experiences with their vehicle electronics, and home electronics. So, I just want to take every precaution that I can, to avoid inadvertently becoming a nuisance to anyone, even if it would be for a brief moment.

Like I said, I'll have to open that Realistic, when I get home, and see what kind of identifying numbers or markings I can find on it.

The thought that I had was to remove the boards from the various devices, and sort of hardwire everything together, if that's possible. The meter that I intended to use is an Astatic PDC2; the board on that is fairly small, as is the filter board. I also wanted to get a fan in there, too. I imagine that whatever amp I use will generate some heat, so I need to have a cooling plan.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.