• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

A question on "who can repair a CB radio"

guitar_199

Mar 8, 2011
Deer Park, TX
Okay, years ago..... if I recall correctly... Parts 95 Subpart D said that all CB radio repairs must be made by a holder of OR a technician under the supervision of a holder of an FCC Radiotelephone License, Second or First Class. I can't seem to dig up a copy of OLD rules......but.... I did just go look up in current rules.....and read this.....

(b) You are responsible for the proper operation of the station at all times and are expected to provide for observations, servicing and maintenance as often as may be necessary to ensure proper operation. You must have all internal repairs or internal adjustments to your CB transmitter made in accordance with the Technical Regulations (see subpart E). The internal repairs or internal adjustments should be performed by or under the immediate supervision and responsibility of a person certified as technically qualified to perform transmitter maintenance and repair duties in the private land mobile services and fixed services by an organization or committee representative of users in those services.

Now, drawing your attention to....

The internal repairs or internal adjustments should be performed by or under the immediate supervision and responsibility of a person certified as technically qualified to perform transmitter maintenance and repair duties in the private land mobile services and fixed services by an organization or committee representative of users in those services.

It no longer specifies any particular license or certification..... but it says SHOULD be .....and all it really says is..... a person certified as technically qualified.....

Does anyone know......what the current state of this is?

For one, I'm sure "CB Repair" is not the business that it was back in the day. You might have to go a long long way to find a technician who has any kind of certification. But then there is the question....

WHAT certification???? Again, the rule used to specify the FCC license required for this service.... now it does not! So....... what "certifies" someone????

Now.....to the REAL question........

Does ANYBODY really care any more?

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

May have answered my own question.

Chasing down the idea of a General Radio Operator's License I went to the FCC site page at:

"https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau...ion/commercial-radio-operator-license-program"

and found this..... (notice dotted item 2. sp I guess THAT is THAT!)

You do sort byNOT need a commercial radio operator license to operate, repair, or maintain any of the following types of stations:

• Two-way land mobile radio equipment, such as that used by police and fire departments, taxicabs and truckers, businesses and industries, ambulances and rescue squads, and local, state, and federal government agencies.
  • Personal radio equipment used in the Citizens Band Radio Service (CBRS), Radio Control Radio Service (RCRS), and General Mobile Radio Services (GMRS).
  • Auxiliary broadcast stations, such as remote pickup stations.
  • Domestic public fixed and mobile radio systems, such as mobile telephone systems, cellular systems, rural radio systems, point-to-point microwave systems, multipoint distribution systems, etc.
  • Stations that operate in the Cable Television Relay Service.
  • Satellite stations, both uplink and downlink of all types.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.