• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

A Quick Fix?

ctvanover

N/A
May 22, 2005
Archdale, NC 27263
I have an Magnum S-9 and it was mounted in a Peterbilt truck that I drove. Well I also used a gear keeper on the mic, well where it was mounted it let the mic swing back and fourth in front of the radio. I din't notice it at first but it was hitting the volume/squelch knob every now and then.

OK, the vol/sqlch now is now loose and my question is this, Can I tighten it back up myself or do I have to take it to a tech and let them do it? If I do it myself is there a diagram or a video that I could use to go by?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Buck

if it just loosened the nut holding the pot to the front you can do it yourself. if the pot itself is damaged and it's sloppy inside, well, you can still do it yourself with some soldering.

the shaft comes out of the potentiometer and there's a short sleeve on the outside of that shaft that has threads. the nut is skinny and I usually end up using needle nose pliers to tighten mine. I'm not familiar with that radio , but you should be able to see it after pulling off the knob.
take off the bottom so you can hold the pot while you tighten the nut.

Thanks Space Cowboy for the info. On the Magnum S-9's you have to take all of the knobs off, remove the bottom and top covers, and remove the front bezel in order to get to the control pods. So I tightened up the nut on the volume shaft and put everything back together. Project time.....about 30 min. Saved......about $50 repair bill. Worth it, Thanks Again for the info!

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.