• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

A short response regarding my magazine

cbradiomagazine.com

2008 - 2014 / Pau Hana
Jan 3, 2007
I wanted to add this to the other thread but it was locked...hopefully it's okay if I post this here.

I just came back to view my previous thread and was a little surprised to see the discussion regarding my articles.

Three points I'd like to make -

#1) I'm not a radio tech - my knowledge is better than your average CB user, but much less than most Ham radio operators or radio technicians.

#2) I publish my magazine because I love CB radio and found that although there is a plethora of information available in forums and such - there is a serious lack of full articles to read about the hobby in general (either technical or entertainment wise). In addition - the information in many forums is often temporary and is deleted over time. I've often searched online on google and found what I thought was the information I needed only to be lead to a dead link. My project is to provide a history of fun and informative articles.

#3) I don't get paid - I pay money to host my website. My google ads mostly pay .01 when someone clicks on them and I put that money towards the hosting costs. I write my articles to try to provide entertainment and useful real-world information.

Summary - I appreciate that freecell made the comment that he is not attacking me personally - but believes some of my article information is incorrect. I have no problem with that comment....but - if you are going to take the time to point out that I've done something wrong, for god's sake please email me with your opinion and points and if it is made aware to me that I am giving incorrect information I would either correct or remove my article.

As I am quite aware of my knowledge and technical limitations & I AM ALWAYS OPEN TO HELPFUL SUGGESTIONS OR CORRECTIONS.

In response to my information being incorrect or misleading - sure it's possible, but most of my articles are merely opinion or simple facts....nothing too technical or dramatic. My mods listed all work, the PEP numbers I quote are always on the low side (I don't claim to be able to make a Cobra 29 do 100 watts). I'm sure my radio theory could be considered wrong here or there, but as mentioned I admit my mistakes and will correct whenever I can.

If anyone has information or wishes to help me write articles I would be overjoyed.

I've written 43 articles in the last 11 months in my spare time(which I don't have much of).

So all that being said - I have been rewarded personally by the very nice responses and help and entertainment I've been able to provide to my fellow CBer's which was always my true goal.

Best wishes to everyone :)

Blackwater Brew

The comments below are some of the responses I received and are the reason I keep on plugging away!

"I am looking forward to the next issue , keep ‘em coming ! Great info !"

".......Really Like your Site and would love to hear your oppinion,
Chris"

"Thanks so much for your web site, got a great deal of info from it. I am an old CBer at heart and it brought back a lot of memories of when I had my little shop in the Garage and use to repair a the CBs around where I lived for my friends"

"GOOD TOPIC: WHAT IS THE BEST SSB RADIO IN PRODUCTION AT THIS CURRENT TIME...I HAVE MY FAVORITE...2950DX......GOOD TOPIC FOR THE MAGAZINE"

"I did the frequency mod on the Cobra 200GTL DX last nite that you mentioned in your review of the Cobra 200 GTL DX…and everything you said about “tiny” was not an exaggeration ! However, the mod works great, and I didn’t have to ship it off somewhere for two weeks! Thanks guys…now I feel like I can accomplish anything! Hahah"

"hey dang it.....get busy ....lol here is a good topic: what is the best base station built right now??"

"Mission accomplished! I was able to trace the two wires from the RF Gain (stacked center knob in the 29 WX NW ST) by cutting the nylon wire ties loose and pulling slack as you suggested. I traced both a blue and a yellow wire down to the PCB where they were both marked “ rfg w 40, and rfg w39, duh….hahah..and I tied these together and used the RF gain pot successfully. My experience with the NW ST might be of value to some other modder, so I thought I would let you know FYI, Now to get out on the road and get some reports. I was only able to test the modulation using the Cobra external speaker with the talk back circuitry, it was much louder when the lower dead-key setting was at full counter clockwise as it should be I spose. Cant wait to get my KL 200P amp in line and test drive!

Thanks for all the help. I enjoy your magazine very much."

" I,m going to buy a small cb radio for occasional travel but won’t to buy a good one. Could you suggest 2 or 3 models and your ratings. Thanks

P.S. cobra 19dx 4 uniden pro520xl magnum 257 I have been looking at these."

"I thank you again for everything & I will check into that
forum also. Eventually bit by bit I'll get everything up & working.
Still a fun hobby too. When I get it all set I'll drop you a line & let you know how it all turned out."

"Dear cbradiomag,

I just visited your site and have to say that I am feeling many different feelings. All of them being good, of course. I am a cb’er going back to the early eighties at the age of 14 and I too miss the cb boom. Your article on audio monsters was fantastic. I have a Golden Eagle Mark 4a in excellent condition. And your article on the local cb shop saddens me. Before moving to Colorado from PA I lived less than a mile from a local cb shop that a guy had in the basement of his house for decades. This guy was a Browning Golden Eagle guru. As of 2001 he had a Tram D201A in beautiful condition, his own personal Mark 3 Eagle, a Mark 2 five piece set. Now that’s a collectors dream. Sadly, I called him last year, April 2006, and his health is failing. He said he can’t work on radios anymore. It’s a tragedy as finding these tube radio gurus is tough.

I still have a desire and burn for the interest in cb radio. Thank you for your web site. I will be reading all I can on it. I’m just getting started on it. I think it’s great to read about things that I understand and agree with. "

"Hello CB Radio Staff,

I will be driving cross country later this summer. I have a cell
phone and plan on getting weather updates as I go along but I am interested in a portable CB radio that I use in my car, ie cigarette adapter. I dont want an installed unit.
Do you have any recommendations for handheld portable CB radios that are good for chatting while on the long road trip, weather and for safety.
THnx"

"Hello, my name is Jesse and I'd like to tell you that I'm very impressed with the website. I do enjoy the hobby and honestly think that the website is the best out there. It really helps the newcomers when you run across informative and well put together websites. Keep up the good work and I'll be looking for the next installment!."

"Hello,

Was reading your page today. Good information, nice to see there is some CB life out there. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind."

"Thanks for all the feedback. It will sure help me narrow my search. I appreciate the time."

"Just read a post on Copper forums announcing your magazine so I decided to do a Google search and here I am. Just wanted to say nice rag. It's really nice to see some solid articles about the hobby. In your article "Could a decline in Cb'ers be a good thing" reminded me that CB is turning back into radio hobbyists, not just a fad or a way for people to do the "in" thing. Normal decent conversation is becomming the rule. It's kinda neat to see Monkey made antennas- I would've killed for one in the late 80's or a Dave Made. The tinkering to improve the hobby has come such a long way. I am now a Ham ( a class extra hammie ..lol) and spend the majority of my time there, but recently blew the dust of the old CB rig, and meet a group on 36 lsb.The hams I know aren't so prejudice and even are wowed at the 80kw mobiles that come to the line at keydowns- you have to respect a vehicle that can generate that much power if nothing else. Anyway, it's been nice reading your articles I will check back to see what's new. Keep up the good work..."

"Hello,
I had an idea for an article you could do. I was thinking that you should compare the RK56 mic and the 636L mic. Many people wounder which is better."

"I really like what you are doing with the site. The only suggestion I have is to change the blue letters for a different color. Blue lettering on a black background is hard to read."

"I read your magazine all the time and I want you to know how much I appreciate it! Please keep up the great work!"

"Great article on the 4 antennas was like I asked the question and got a great answer."

"Keep up the good work, I enjoy reading your web magazine! Lots of good stuff here. Thanks!"

"I just read your dipole article. I live in mililani Hawaii and have the same problem so this may be a good antenna.
I go by 49 on am if you are still in Hawaii.

Good website also."

Your just doing your thing and nothing wrong with that , others have problems with your articals ? , as you said , they can show a little class and offer you assistents via email or PM , rather then be better then thou's about it in posts. Your original post has been cleaned of the BS , I personally apologise to you for my pertisapation in that. I told you I personally appreciated your articals and the time it takes anybody to take the time and post things up as you have. I just don't get it from many of these so called techs around here , they sure don't mind the press or any business that might come there ways , but I could personally go to the tech section of this forum and see more un answered questions or helps to others then I do see answers , and that includes many of my own.(Why would you suppose that is ?) You sir seem like a humble person unlike so many others. I call it as I read it. As I said before , keep on keep'in on . After you saw that the thread was locked no sooner was it cleaned and unlocked.......which it more then likely should have been from the get go. Thanks again for your time and trying to be some kind of help around here as you have the short time you have been here. Right or wrong. Peace

Your original post has been cleaned and unlocked from the posters who hijacked it

Keep up the good work

I found your site one day through google. I enjoyed reading the articles you had. Good job. :)

Same here. I find it interesting to read about the experiences of others. It's also nice to be able to read articles about rigs I haven't had the opportunity to play with. I don't expect you to be the last word on something...nor do you ever claim to be the last word.

You put a lot of effort into something simply for the pleasure of doing it and providing a service to the rest of us. I applaud you for it.
preacherman

" I appreciate that freecell made the comment that he is not attacking me personally - but believes some of my article information is incorrect. I have no problem with that comment....but - if you are going to take the time to point out that I've done something wrong, for god's sake please email me with your opinion and points and if it is made aware to me that I am giving incorrect information I would either correct or remove my article."

thank you for your candor. some moderators and members here in this forum have become positively anal when they view constructive criticism as "thread hijacking" simply because they misinterpret intent and if by some twist it was not my response that was viewed as such then that needs to be clarified. kudos to you for your discernment.

as i can see in your statements above you seemingly have no problem with it and welcome any input necessary to improve the technical content in the articles, i applaud you for that and i welcome the opportunity to assist you towards that end.

apparently you appreciate and understand the importance of conveying accurate information to your readers as witnessed by those who successfully completed the conversion on the 200GTL. i believe that you and i both know how that could have turned out if the instructions had been flawed, i think you see my point.

contact information has been forwarded to you as requested.

Admin

its always nice to comprehend what you are reading . but nobody's perfect and it seems cbradiomagazine.com understood freecell from the start looking at his post up top . i really do appreciate cbradiomagazine.com for the effort to provide information in a very easily accessed way and the laymen's terms he uses . his lack of ego in doing so and willingness to learn says a lot about him .

Your doing a good job there dude. you do alot of research and should be praised for that. Theres alot of good info on your articles which makes it easier for us to determine what we want.

Thanx, cbradiomagz. Aloha fr: da minigrass. Jim....

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned