• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

A sweetheart of a rig back in the day

For all their unique looks, hype and big price.....they were pieces of crap. I also never heard one one that didn't break down and then there are no parts. And low and behold your friend has 4 that don't work.

For all their unique looks, hype and big price.....they were pieces of crap. I also never heard one one that didn't break down and then there are no parts. And low and behold your friend has 4 that don't work.

Nope none of the ones he has transmits. They are all duds. but wow they sure command high prices on EBay! I saw one once NOS in the box sell for well over 1500.00!!!!!!

i remember as a teen going to Mr. cleans home in NC after he replaced his 139XLR with the CPI and the matching range plus . he seemed very happy with it and it certianly made contacts . he ran a 8 tube (IIRC) elkin behind it with a super scanner .

those were the days :)

I know of two of these radios back in the day when they were still for sale.

What I've heard from a local tech is he can't work on them, because they use proprietary parts, kind of like SBE did, and these manufactures won't sell anyone parts.

What I've heard from a local tech is he can't work on them, because they use proprietary parts, kind of like SBE did, and these manufactures won't sell anyone parts.

Not to mention that they went out of business decades ago. Nice radios to look at and if they work they work, but still too much money to pay for essentially 4 watt / 12 watt CB's

Yes i heard the same thing, Marconi. Pretty sad. They had all the parts made JUST FOR that rig and that rig only so they could not be used for any other radios...:unsure:

Not to mention that they went out of business decades ago. Nice radios to look at and if they work they work, but still too much money to pay for essentially 4 watt / 12 watt CB's

Just like those silly Sonar 40 CH tube radios and the Robyn T 240D. Overrated and overpriced ho hum performance rig...:mellow:

Communications Power Inc. 40 Channel. USB,LSB.. Rare unit. | eBay

Trying to find one that works is as rare as hens teeth...
I know a fella that has 4 of them and not one of them transmits...

My friend Mike, RT455 in Wichita, Kansas runs the Yahoo CPI group. He had an Elmer of sorts on these rigs, and knows them inside and out. At one time, he was trying to get some parts manufactured for them (PLL circuit, IIRC). There are some still out there that work, and folks that have them love them. I've never owned or used one, so I can't really say how they perform.

RT307

Hmmm everyone that i know that has one (or several) has the same issues. They dont work. LOL

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned