• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

A99 coating

rangelia

Aug 16, 2018
Hey guys, Im needing some basic base communications so Im going with the A-99 , a 60' tower a basic mobile with power source and maybe a 200w heater. Question is, Im in S georgia where its hotter than a 4 balled tomcat in the summer. Id like to protect the fiberglass a little and was thinking about spraying that plastikote stuff on it (the rubberized stuff) Would that have any negative effects on the antenna? thanks

Reactions: Justme

Heard tales of the A99s being up for decades without problems- then some fail out of the box. Do not think they need any protection from Mother Nature. I have heard of people using Coax Seal on the connections to prevent water getting into coax. If you pick up an A99 I would see if you could find one at a local shop that might have one in stock that had been made by Solarcon prior to BARJAN buyout. A99 is a good base vertical.

Reactions: rangelia
After 18 years my Solarcon Imax 2000 shed it's top section in the spring storm we had, 60 mile + winds..
Looking at that section on the ground it was clear the glasfiber delaminated because the bonding and resin failed over that time.
i had several spare Imax 2000's from stations going out of business, so i took the next one, sanded it lightly, de greased it and got some bloody expensive polyester boat paint and took 2 layers over it in white.

also did my Diamond X510N 2 meter and 70 cm antenna with it, and put both back up on the roof.

Why white? reflects sunshine and heat, makes the antenna less visible, and that special paint should hold 12 to 15 years as it stated on the tin.
Was 20 euro's for 1/3 of a litre though..or coffee mug content....ouch
Anything on the antenna not conducting ( no metal flakes or metal containing paint will do any harm, R.F> will just pass it.
Self amalgamating tape is used on every connector outside here standard, never fails.
Even on waterproof N connectors, i don't take chances with coax of 7 Euro a meter.

Reactions: rangelia
I dont know if you can use a clear coat to seal it. Im further south around Tampa and i decided to go with a metal antenna. I chose a maco v 5/8. I think it was under $150 to my door.

Buy fiberglass resin. Clean the antenna sections with dawn and water. Let it dry. Mix the resin and hardener. Just enough for 1 coat. Put it on with a disposable brush. When dry but still sticky mix a second batch. Put another coat. Let that dry good. Hit it with some marine grade white paint. Put it up. It will outlast you

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.