• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Abbree Tacticool 42.5" Flexible Tape Dual-Band HT Antenna SMA Male

Wire Weasel

Senior Moment
Dec 13, 2008
Saw these and thought I would try. I previously did not have a LONG dual-band HT Antenna. For VHF I use the awesome 52" Diamond RH-205 metal telescopic when I need extra range .... but it only covers VHF. The only other better-than-ducky dual band ant. I had is a flexible 18" unit .... which works okay and is better than the factory rubber duck.
Gave it a good workout on both VHF & UHF on both local repeaters and simplex and it is working great. Absolutely better than the 18" unit. Appears well constructed, snapped perfectly into the Strait position upon unfolding, and I am very happy with the price at 19.99 on Amazon. You can pay around $6.00 more and get a Two Pack so Check All Listings if buying.

Amazon product ASIN B08FLGFGNP

Reactions: Rwb

I have one, it's ok in some situations, it's not that impressive over my Smilie but it works.
See linkie

Jeff

Reactions: Wire Weasel
I have the "27Mhz" version of the Abbree, or maybe a counterfeit since I don't see it for sale on their website only Amazon. I have mixed feelings about the things. The plastic crease where it folds will buckle and flop just from sitting in storage, but it can easily be restored with a quick heating from a torch or heatgun. It gives the impression of broken antenna connector unless used on some battleship of 1980s vintage radio. Lowest SWR is around 29.5Mhz at around 2.8, with about 5Mhz bandwidth under 5. I have not done much testing, such a monstrosity being flopping around being a risky proposition for my handheld. RX is slightly better than a 12" rubber duck. Both were able to intermittently open squelch (DCS) on my base 4 miles away so it's more than a dummy load, but crap compared to a an old radio shack with the center loaded telescopic like my TRC-211.

Did Radio Shack ever sell a removable bnc version of that antenna? I tried putting a BNC connector on one from a junk radio with a fiberglass rod but the VSWR was garbage when I tested it. I suspect those built in antennas were more like part of the antenna, the other part being you touching the metal side panels and the giant brick of a radio. Those things could easily talk to a mobile several miles away even in rough terrain where UHF would not get out.

Reactions: Holydvr
Hi.
I have one 124cm long Abbree.
It should be VHF and UHF but not work well with PMR446.
So i tested it with vector antenna analyzer and result was a surprice.
Best swr can be found 140, 200, 300, 420 and 460MHz.
Maybe have to cut a bit.
I hope this information hepls someone.

Reactions: Holydvr
Did some receive testing today on a few handhelds sitting in my basement. With the stock antenna I had a station on channel 11 putting an S1 on me. Switched to the Abbree antenna and the same station was coming in around an S6 or so. Quite a difference overall. I still have yet to test it on transmit though. Hopefully soon!

Reactions: AudioShockwav

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated